G. Robert Witmer ’29 of Webster, N.Y., died Sept. 6, 2007, at the age of 102. He served 49 years in the New York state courts, as a surrogate judge, justice of the Supreme Court, associate justice of the appellate divisions in the First Department (New York City) and Fourth Department (Rochester), and after retirement as judicial administrative officer. From 1936 to 1945, he was a supervisor for the town of Webster. A life member of the American Law Institute, he attended his 75th Harvard Law School reunion in 2004. He was the father of G. Robert Witmer Jr. ’62.
Harold S. Lynton ’32 of New York City died June 11, 2007. He was a partner at Shea & Gould and of counsel to Dornbush Schaeffer Strongin & Venaglia in New York City.
Philip S. Agar ’33 of Rye, N.Y., died Feb. 10, 2007. For 67 years, he was a partner at Windels Marks Davies & Ives. For 25 years, he was vice president of the Larchmont Manor Park Society. During WWII, he was a lieutenant in the U.S. Navy in the Pacific.
Alexander S. Cunningham ’33-’34 of Sarasota, Fla., died Aug. 12, 2007. He was senior vice president of the Irving Trust Co. in New York City, where he worked for 23 years. A 1933 graduate of Dartmouth College, he was active in the Dartmouth Club, and in 1985, he received an Outstanding Achievement Award for his exceptional contributions to the community, the college and his profession.
D. Nelson Adams ’35 of Barneveld, N.Y., and New York City died May 31, 2007. A longtime partner of Davis Polk & Wardwell, he joined the firm in 1936. He was elected partner in 1949, served as head of the tax department and was named managing partner in 1970. He also served as president of the Buckley School and was a trustee of the Bugher Foundation, the National Hypertension Association, the Schuyler Center for Analysis and Advocacy, and the Foundation for Mood Disorders. He was president of the Harvard Law Review and a law clerk to Judge Learned Hand LL.B. 1896 of the U.S Court of Appeals. From 1942 to 1946, he served in the U.S. Army Air Forces, attaining the rank of lieutenant colonel.
Herbert I. Katz ’35 of Fort Lee, N.J., died Aug. 27, 2007. A solo practitioner in real estate and corporate law, he was chief executive of a real estate, industrial and commercial development concern. He was president of the board of the Barnert Memorial Hospital Center of Paterson, a trustee of the United Jewish Federation of North Jersey Senior Citizens’ Home, and an active member of New Jersey’s business, legal and philanthropic communities.
Radcliffe Killam ’35 of Laredo, Texas, died Sept. 8, 2007. A president and owner of Killam & Hurd, an independent oil producer and operator, he began working in the South Texas oil fields for his father’s company as a teenager and returned to the business after graduating from HLS. He donated 300 acres for Texas A&M International University in Laredo and was the primary private donor for the university’s Center for the Study of Western Hemispheric Trade. One of the state’s first landowners to implement a game management program, he was also instrumental in the creation of Lake Casa Blanca as a reservoir. He served on a number of corporate and community boards. He enlisted in the U.S. Navy in 1942, served as a commanding officer of a PT boat based in the Pacific and retired as a lieutenant commander in 1945.
Wesley L. Lance ’35 of Clinton, N.J., died Aug. 25, 2007. A former state Senate president, he served New Jersey for more than 70 years—as a New Jersey Legislature representative from Hunterdon County in the 1930s, as a judge of the Hunterdon County Court and most recently as the attorney for the township of Lebanon. In the Senate, he concentrated on fiscal and constitutional issues and matters dealing with commuter rail transportation and water supply. He was a principal co-sponsor of the Fox-Lance Act, landmark tax abatement legislation that fostered urban redevelopment in New Jersey. He was also a delegate to the 1947 New Jersey Constitutional Convention, whose members completely rewrote the state constitution. During WWII, he entered the U.S. Navy and served in the Pacific theater aboard the USS Boxer.
Lawrence F. Edmisten Jr. ’36 of Studio City, Calif., died Oct. 5, 2007. A solo practitioner in Studio City, he was president of the Burbank and San Fernando Valley bar associations and a 50-year member and president of the Studio City-Sherman Oaks Rotary Club. He was once involved in a lawsuit that pitted one of the Three Stooges against another, and he helped lay the legal groundwork for establishing labor unions at the major movie studios. He contributed to the establishment of an Episcopalian Sunday school, which later became Campbell Hall-Argyle Academy.
Elwood S. “Woody” Levy ’36 of Sarasota, Fla., died April 27, 2007. Formerly of Philadelphia, he was a partner at Richter, Lord & Levy and a solo practitioner. A founding member and president of the Philadelphia Trial Lawyers Association, he was admitted to the American College of Trial Lawyers in 1968. He received the Fidelity Bank Award for improving the quality of justice in Philadelphia and the 1982 Justice Michael A. Musmanno Award for his contributions to tort law and the judicial selection process. In 2006, he was honored by the Philadelphia Bar Association for his 70 years of service. He was a naval air combat intelligence officer in the Pacific during WWII.
Alan V. Lowenstein ’36 of Maplewood, N.J., died May 8, 2007. For 60 years, he was a banking and business lawyer, and he co-founded Lowenstein Sandler in Newark in 1961, later overseeing the firm’s expansion from five attorneys to more than 250. In the 1950s, he headed the Newark Charter Commission, which drafted the restructuring of Newark’s government, allowing for the direct election of the mayor. After graduating from HLS, he worked for the predecessor of the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission. He was the principal draftsman of the Banking Act of 1948 and chairman of the New Jersey Corporation Law Revision Commission. He was a board member of the New Jersey Symphony Orchestra and its president from 1971 to 1973. In 1999, the Alan V. and Amy Lowenstein Foundation created the New Jersey Institute for Social Justice.
Joseph H. Moran II ’36 of West Palm Beach, Fla., died Sept. 3, 2007. He was an executive vice president of Moran Towing Corp. in New York City. He was also a director of Christiania General Insurance Corp. and president of the Horizon Foundation. During WWII, he was a lieutenant in the U.S. Navy.
Lawrence S. Rosenstrauch ’36 of Columbus, Ga., died Sept. 21, 2007. He was a general practitioner for almost 25 years in Columbus, where he was also a member of the Columbus Lawyers Club. In 1970, he moved to Florida and, at 61, took the Florida bar exam. In Florida, he was a trust officer of the Broward National Bank, vice president of Pensacola Title Insurance Co., and a department attorney for both the Florida Department of Community Affairs and the Department of Law Enforcement. He returned to Columbus in 1983 and helped found the Service Corps of Retired Executives. During WWII, he served in the Judge Advocate General’s Corps in the Philippines.
J. Maynard Kaplan ’37 of Columbus, Ohio, died July 15, 2007. Self-employed in the manufacturing and investments businesses, he served on a number of boards, including Columbus Steel Industries, Columbus Jewish Federation and Wexner Heritage House. In 2001, he wrote “New Millennium Limericks for Grandmothers and Others” (Dorrance Publishing Co.). During WWII, he became fluent in Japanese and served in U.S. naval intelligence deciphering Japanese military coded messages.
Alan McClennen ’38-’40 of Brewster, Mass., died July 16, 2007. A longtime resident of Lincoln, he was the planning and development director of Cambridge, Somerville and Waltham for 25 years. He was a charter member of both the American Planning Association and the American Institute of Certified Planners, where he was chairman of the New England chapter. He began his career planning housing developments for the National Housing Agency. During WWII, he served as a radar officer in the U.S. Navy.
Russell O. Bennett ’39 of Evanston, Ill., died May 19, 2007. A tax and securities lawyer, he was a founding member of Liebman, Williams, Bennett, Baird and Minow, which merged with Sidley Austin in 1972. He retired in 1997. Active with the Church of the Holy Comforter in Kenilworth, he was a member of the Bishop and Trustees of the Episcopal Diocese of Chicago. A legal adviser and trustee of Seabury-Western Theological Seminary, he was awarded an honorary doctorate in canon law in 1983 by the seminary. During WWII, he was an intelligence officer and attained the rank of major. After the war, he worked with the U.S. Strategic Bombing Survey in Asia.
Hector D. Laudati ’39 of Narragansett and East Greenwich, R.I., died May 9, 2007. He was a solo practitioner in Providence, where he grew up. He was elected to the city council and served eight terms. He sponsored a team in the Silver Lake/Olneyville Little League for more than 50 years, and the Hector D. Laudati Little League Field at Neutaconkanut Park was named in his honor. During WWII, he served in the U.S. Coast Guard.
John A. Rowntree ’39 of Knoxville, Tenn., died June 8, 2007, on his 92nd birthday. An antitrust litigation attorney, he practiced law at his family’s firm, Fowler, Rowntree and Fowler, and twice argued before the U.S. Supreme Court. He was an elder and Stephen Minister of Sequoyah Hills Presbyterian Church and worked for many years for Gideons International, an evangelical Christian organization. During WWII, he served in the U.S. Army Air Forces and attained the rank of lieutenant colonel.
Benjamin Aaron ’40 of Santa Monica, Calif., died Aug. 25, 2007. A labor law scholar, he was the director of the Institute of Industrial Relations at the University of California from 1960 to 1975 and a member of many presidential labor commissions. During WWII, he was director of the National War Labor Board, which set wage guidelines and reviewed collective-bargaining agreements. During the Truman administration, he was vice chairman of the National Wage Stabilization Board. In 1965, he was appointed by President Johnson to the National Commission on Technology, Automation and Economic Progress. He mediated or investigated many significant labor issues, and in 1962, he was president of the National Academy of Arbitrators. In 1966, he formed the Comparative Labor Law Group with prominent law scholars from six countries. Over the next 12 years, the group produced three books on the topic.
James B. Dwyer ’40 of Erie, Pa., died June 5, 2007. He was a judge of the Orphan’s Court of Erie County, later the Orphan’s Court of Common Pleas. He was elected to the bench in 1963 and was named president judge of the court in 1980. In 1985, he became senior judge, and he served until 1995, presiding over more than 5,500 adoptions. He began his legal career at English, Quinn, Leemhuis and Tayntor, later known as Quinn, Leemhuis, Plate and Dwyer. He served on many boards, including those of the Saint Vincent Health Center, Mercyhurst College and United Way of Erie County. He worked for the FBI in 1940 and, in 1944, joined the U.S. Marine Corps as a lieutenant.
Bernard Miller ’40 of Harrison, N.Y., died June 1, 2007. He was owner and manager of Miller & Miller, a real estate firm in New York City, where he was involved in real estate investment with his twin brother, Saul Miller ’40. He was a comedy writer in the early days of television, and he wrote Captain Marvel Comics for Fawcett Publications. With his brothers, he donated one of the largest private collections—approximately 40,000 volumes—of humor books to Brown University in the early 1990s. For 10 years, he served on the town of Harrison Planning Board.
William P. Salisbury ’40 of Kansas City, Mo., died Sept. 6, 2007. He worked for the Office of Economic Opportunity and for the Portland Cement Association for 19 years. During WWII, he served as a meteorologist and in the Judge Advocate General’s Corps in the U.S. Army Air Forces in Okinawa.
Adolph F. Kohlmyer ’41 of Lorain, Ohio, died April 6, 2007. He was the business manager for the Lorain Board of Education for more than 30 years and the owner and manager of Kohlmyer Hardware and Appliance Inc. Before joining the military during WWII, he worked in the legal department of the Bendix-Westinghouse Air Brake Co. in Elyria. He served in the U.S. Navy and attained the rank of lieutenant.
Alvin S. Lane ’43 of New York City died Sept. 13, 2007. For more than 40 years, he was a partner at Wien Lane & Klein in New York City. A collector of modern sculpture and sculptors’ drawings, he donated his collection to the Chazen Museum of Art of the University of Wisconsin. He joined the U.S. Navy in 1942 and left the service four years later with the rank of lieutenant.
Templeton Smith ’43 of Pittsburgh died June 15, 2007. For 38 years, he was an attorney at Koppers Co. before being named vice president and general counsel of Keystone Environmental Resources, a Koppers subsidiary. After retiring, he served as an arbitrator in environmental lawsuits. For many years, he also maintained 1,000 acres of farmland, producing livestock and field crops. He was a member of the Mt. Lebanon school board in the 1990s, and he also sat on the zoning hearing board. He served as a U.S. Navy ordnance officer during WWII.
Augustus W. Soule Jr. ’43 of Westwood, Mass., died July 10, 2007. Formerly of Dedham and Duxbury, he was a probate attorney and partner at Herrick, Smith, Donald, Farley and Ketchum for more than 35 years before becoming of counsel at Sullivan & Worcester. For 25 years, he was president of the board of trustees of Dexter School. He also served on the boards of Dedham Institute for Savings and the Boston Children’s Museum. A direct descendant of Mayflower pilgrims, he served as governor of the Massachusetts Society of Mayflower Descendants. During WWII, he served in the U.S. Army on classified projects for Army intelligence. He attained the rank of captain.
A. Warren Wilkinson ’43 of Vero Beach, Fla., died Sept. 13, 2007. Formerly of Brunswick, Maine, and Wellesley, Mass., he was a partner at Peabody & Brown in Boston.
Thomas R. Hunt ’44 of Greenville, Del., died June 11, 2007. A longtime employee of Hercules Inc., he retired as assistant general counsel in 1985. Early in his career, he practiced law with the firm of the late Delaware Sen. Daniel Hastings. During WWII, he served as a sergeant in the Counter Intelligence Corps.
Charles J. McGovern ’44 of Warwick, R.I., died Aug. 15, 2007. He had practiced law in Rhode Island since 1948 and, most recently, was a partner at McGovern, Noel and Benik in Providence. For many years, he was chairman of the Rhode Island Judicial Council, and from 1965 to 1974, he was chairman of the Warwick Fire Station Building Commission. An Eagle Scout, he served as legal counsel and on the board of the Boy Scouts of America’s Narragansett Council. In 1991, he received the Rhode Island Bar Association’s Community Service Award for his pro bono legal work for scouting. During WWII, he served in the U.S. Navy aboard the USS Dehaven as a torpedo and gunnery officer in the Pacific theater. He received five battle stars and attained the rank of lieutenant.
Michael T. Sullivan ’45-’47 of Greendale, Wis., died March 20, 2007. A judge for 41 years, he served on both the Milwaukee County and Circuit Courts and on the Wisconsin Court of Appeals. In 1953, he was sworn in, at the age of 28, as the youngest judge of the Milwaukee County Circuit Court. During his 29 years on the trial court in Milwaukee, he served in every division and as chief judge, a position he held for five years. In that role, he was instrumental in getting grant money for Project Turnaround, which helped establish the county’s victim-witness program, sensitive crimes unit and domestic violence unit. He later returned to the bench as a reserve judge.
Arthur C. Warner ’46 of Princeton, N.J., died July 22, 2007. He taught history at the University of Texas and Rider College and was dedicated to civil rights, especially the rights of gay citizens. He also founded Sentience Foundation, a nonprofit dedicated to sponsoring research and programs to expand the capacity, maintenance and health of the brain. He was a second lieutenant in the U.S. Navy during WWII.
Henry A. Moran Jr. ’47 of Longmeadow, Mass., died April 5, 2007. A trial attorney for more than half a century, he practiced law at Moran & Moran in Springfield and was special assistant attorney general of Massachusetts in the 1960s. He was assistant district attorney in Hampden County from 1972 to 1980. He also was town counsel of Longmeadow, served on the School Building Committee, and was an adviser and board chairman of the Willie Ross School for the Deaf. An altar boy at the first consecrated Mass at St. Mary’s Parish in Longmeadow, he was recognized as the church’s oldest parishioner during its 75th anniversary celebration last year. A navigator in the U.S. Army Air Forces during WWII, he served in North Africa, Italy and southern France.
H. Livingstone Barrett Jr. ’47-’48 of Sudbury, Mass., died July 8, 2007. Formerly of Wayland, he was a professor of finance at Babson, where he taught for 18 years. He worked for several companies, including Interpolymer, a corporation founded by one of his students. He began his teaching career at Boston University. He was a trustee of the Wayland Public Library and was also a member of the building committee of First Parish of Wayland. He served in the U.S. Navy in San Diego and in the Philippines during WWII.
Gerald Harwood ’48 of Gaithersburg, Md., died Sept. 21, 2007. He was chief administrative law judge for the Environmental Protection Agency, and for 23 years, he worked for the Federal Trade Commission, attaining the position of assistant general counsel. He was a president of the Lincoln Westmoreland Housing Organization and, with his wife, Carolyn, founded PLAN of Maryland-D.C., a nonprofit dedicated to assisting the mentally ill.
Christian A. Herter Jr. ’48 of Washington, D.C., died Sept. 16, 2007. A lawyer and professor, he taught international environmental law at Johns Hopkins University School of Advanced International Studies for almost 20 years. In the 1970s, he worked for the U.S. State Department, where, among other duties, he chaired conferences on endangered species and the law of the sea. He was a deputy assistant secretary of state for environmental and population affairs and served as deputy U.S. commissioner on the International Whaling Commission in the 1980s. During WWII, he served in the U.S. Army in Europe and received three Bronze Stars and the Purple Heart.
William L. Hungate ’48 of St. Louis died June 22, 2007. A federal judge and congressman, he represented the 9th District in Missouri from 1964 to 1977 and sponsored the second article of impeachment against President Nixon in the House Judiciary Committee in the Watergate matter. He later served as chairman of the Criminal Justice Subcommittee and led its investigation of President Ford’s pardon of Nixon. From 1979 to 1992, he served on the federal district court in the Eastern District of Missouri.
Seymour B. Jeffries ’48 of Woodmere, N.Y., died July 25, 2007. A solo practitioner in Woodmere, he specialized in corporate and administrative law. He was general counsel and a board member of Gyma Laboratories of America and Evergood Products Corp., and he served on the advisory board of the Stecher & Horowitz School of Arts.
Martin A. Weil ’48 of South Orange, N.J., and Delray Beach, Fla., died May 22, 2007. For more than 50 years, he practiced law in New York and New Jersey. During WWII, he served in the U.S. Army.
William Wesselhoeft ’48 of Seattle died July 20, 2007. A Seattle attorney for more than 50 years, he practiced law with Ferguson & Burdell until 1992, when that firm merged with Schwabe, Williamson & Wyatt. He specialized in litigation and was a member of the American College of Trial Lawyers. In 1974, he was elected president of the Seattle-King County Bar Association; in 1978, he was elected to the state bar’s board of governors; and he later served a term with the ABA’s House of Delegates. He served on the destroyer USS Russell in Pearl Harbor while in the U.S. Navy during WWII.
William E. MacIntyre ’49 of Boston and Wilmington, Del., died June 6, 2007. He was general counsel of DuPont International and assistant general counsel of DuPont de Nemours. He served as chairman of the Delaware Chamber of Commerce and was vice president of the American Heart Association. A double-protégé of Ted Williams, he was coached by Williams in Boston on his youth baseball team, and later Williams served as his flight instructor at the Naval Aviation School in Pensacola, Fla. During WWII, he was a naval aviator. He also served as a flight instructor and in the Judge Advocate General’s Corps during the Korean War.
Lawrence N. Marcus ’49 of Delmar, N.Y., died May 3, 2007. He worked as agency counsel in the New York State Office of Parks, Recreation, and Historic Preservation, was deputy director of the bureau for municipal police for the State Division of Criminal Justice Services for 11 years and worked in management for the Judicial Conference (the forerunner of the Unified Court System), eventually serving as acting administrator. During WWII, he was a fighter pilot in the U.S. Army and served as a weather reconnaissance flyer in Italy.
William E. Murray LL.M. ’49 of Charleston, S.C., and New York City died Aug. 4, 2007. During his 50-year law career, he practiced in New York, Georgia and South Carolina. A real estate developer and entrepreneur, he founded and served as chairman of the board of the East Bay Co., which has been instrumental in revitalizing many historic sections of Charleston. He helped found the School of Languages, Cultures and World Affairs at the College of Charleston and was twice awarded the Order of the Palmetto, the highest civilian honor awarded by the governor of South Carolina. He served on a number of boards, including those of the Medical University of South Carolina, East West Institute and Sloan Kettering Cancer Hospital. During WWII, he served in the U.S. Naval Reserves as an engineering officer aboard the LST-617, which took part in the invasion of Okinawa. He attained the rank of lieutenant.
Robert A. Poore ’49 of Butte, Mont., died May 3, 2007. For more than 50 years, he practiced law with his brother, the late James A. Poore Jr. ’40, at Poore, Roth & Robinson, in Butte. In the 1970s, he represented the state of Montana before the U.S. Supreme Court, urging the Court to uphold the constitutionality of the Montana Gross Receipts Tax. For nearly 30 years, he was chairman of the Montana State Board of Bar Examiners. He received many professional awards, including the first William J. Jamison Professional Responsibility Award, the Lawyer of the Year Award from the University of Montana and the Silver Bow County Bar Association’s Liberty Bell Award. In 2000, he received the Governor’s Civic Engagement Award. He was a longtime president of the Butte Community Concert Association and spearheaded the restoration of the Mother Lode Theatre. During WWII, he served in the U.S. Navy as a gunnery officer in the Pacific theater.
Stanley H. Richards ’49 of Chicago died Feb. 26, 2007. He was executive vice president and a trust officer of Old Kent Bank, formerly Sears Bank and Trust Co., in Chicago. He retired in 1987 but continued as a consultant to the trust department until 1992. He later served as of counsel to Kanter & Mattenson, where he focused his practice on estate planning. A tournament bridge player, he was named a life master in 1990.
Arthur Gregg Jackson ’50 of Philadelphia died June 10, 2007. He was a partner at Montgomery, McCracken, Walker and Rhoads in Philadelphia and later was vice president and general counsel for SPS Technologies in Jenkintown. He served in the armed forces during WWII and the Korean War, helping translate Chinese and Japanese codes.
William B. Lawless LL.M. ’50 of San Rafael, Calif., died April 23, 2007. He was a New York State Supreme Court justice, dean of Notre Dame Law School, a Wall Street lawyer and president of the National Judicial College in Reno, Nev. He earned a J.D. from the University of Notre Dame Law School in 1944 (prior to receiving his undergraduate degree). He served in the U.S. Navy in the South Pacific before earning a B.A. from the University of Buffalo. He served as corporation counsel for the city of Buffalo from 1954 to 1956. As a New York State Supreme Court justice, he wrote a 1967 opinion stating that the religion of Black Muslims must be recognized in the state prison system and its religious dietary needs must be accommodated there. During his tenure as dean at Notre Dame, he initiated the London year abroad program for law students. He also was an adjunct professor at the University at Buffalo Law School and Fordham Law School and president of Western State College of Law.
Sidney H. Paige ’50 of Charlotte, N.C., died Aug. 7, 2007. Formerly of Lake Forest, Ill., he was vice president of human resources for Illinois Tool Works and a three-term alderman of that city. He worked at Hardy Freeman & Associates in Chicago and, from 1970 to 1980, was vice president of personnel for A.B. Dick Products Co. He also taught as an adjunct professor at the business school of Lake Forest College. He was a director of Lake Forest Hospital and served on the Lake Forest Police and Fire Commission. During WWII, he served in the U.S. Navy as a navigator in the Atlantic.
Charles F. Crames ’51 of White Plains, N.Y., died May 3, 2007. An estate and trust and family law attorney, he most recently was senior counsel at Blank Rome in New York City. He previously practiced law at Shack Siegel Katz Flaherty & Goodman.
Richard S. Emmet Jr. ’51 of Westford, Mass., died July 27, 2007. A staff lawyer and, later, board member of the Conservation Law Foundation, he helped shape how public trust law protects shorelines and fishing waters from Rhode Island to Maine. During his career, he taught for more than 25 years at Buckingham Browne & Nichols, a private school in Cambridge, Mass., and from 1951 to 1958, he was a tax attorney at Ropes & Gray in Boston. He also served on Westford’s board of selectmen, school committee and conservation commission. A birder, he was a board member of the Massachusetts Audubon Society and wrote a book on bird species found in Westford. He also wrote a minibiography of his ancestor Thomas Addis Emmet, an Irish revolutionary. He served as a sergeant in the U.S. Army Air Forces.
Raymond R. Cross ’52 of Longmeadow, Mass., died March 16, 2007. Formerly of Northampton, he was a justice of the Massachusetts Superior Court. He was appointed to the court in 1973 and retired in 1991. During his career, he practiced law in Northampton and served as city solicitor, assistant district attorney and assistant attorney general. He also taught at Western New England College School of Law. In 1994, he wrote a memoir for his family, “Common Law and Uncommon People.”
Ralph H. Jefferson ’52 of Annapolis, Md., died April 7, 2007. He worked as legal counsel for the Department of Defense in Washington, D.C., and Paris. He joined the Office of the Assistant General Counsel in the Defense Department in Washington in 1957. He was legal adviser to the U.S. mission to NATO in Paris from 1960 to 1963, before returning to Washington. Later in his career, he served as deputy director in the Europe-NATO Directorate, was civilian deputy commandant at the NATO Defense College in Rome, was director of the NATO policy office at the Department of Defense and was a senior research fellow at the National Defense University. He was a director of the Chol-Chol Foundation, an organization that works in rural indigenous communities in Chile.
William H. Morrow Jr. ’52 of Montgomery, Ala., died Aug. 27, 2007. He was general counsel for the Alabama State Bar. He also worked in Miami at Patton & Kanner. During WWII, he flew more than 20 combat missions as a navigator in the U.S. Army Air Forces and earned the Distinguished Flying Cross and the Air Medal with Oak Leaf Cluster.
Jay W. Tracey Jr. ’52 of Brookline, Mass., died Sept. 11, 2007. He was a partner at Holland & Hart in Denver for more than 20 years. In the 1950s, he helped represent a Denver group accused of violating the Smith Act, an act that makes it an offense to advocate or belong to a group that advocated the violent overthrow of the government. A singer, he was a member of Yale’s Whippenpoofs a cappella group, and he sang and played trombone with the U.S. Army Special Services Unit after WWII, traveling to France and Switzerland. In Denver he helped write and performed in the annual Twelfth Night productions at the University Club, as well as in productions of the Colorado Bar Association and the Denver Law Group. He also helped form the New Wizard Oil Combination singing group.
George P. Kramer ’53 of New York City died April 27, 2007. A trademark attorney, he was senior counsel at Hunton and Williams. Earlier in his career, he was an attorney at Watson and Leavenworth. He served as secretary and, later, on the executive committee of the Association of the Bar of the City of New York. In 1971, he accompanied the U.S. Antarctic Policy Group South Pole Expedition and planted an anniversary flag of the bar association at the Pole. He established the Caleb Cheeshahteamuck 1665 Fund at Harvard College in memory of its first Native American student. He was a trustee of Hancock Shaker Village. He served as a lieutenant in the U.S. Navy.
Donald F. Malin Jr. ’53 of New York City and Canaan, N.Y., died Sept. 20, 2007. He was a longtime attorney at Simpson, Thacher & Bartlett in New York City. He opened the London office in 1978 and retired as a senior partner in 1991. He was chairman of the Canaan Planning Board. A baritone, he sang with the Oratorio Society of New York and the Berkshire Choral Institute in Sheffield, Mass.
Sheldon Seevak ’53 of New York City died Aug. 18, 2007. A partner at Goldman, Sachs & Co. in New York City, he established and oversaw the firm’s real estate department. He was a private investor and philanthropist and served as a board member for a number of educational and charitable organizations, including Facing History and Ourselves. He endowed a chair for Facing History at Boston Latin, and he helped create a partnership between the organization and HLS. He was a trial attorney for the Internal Revenue Service and was involved in a number of tax case trials focusing on notorious mobsters of the New York/New Jersey underworld. During the Korean War, he served as an officer in the U.S. Coast Guard.
Jerome Talbert ’53 of Fort Lee, N.J., died April 22, 2007. Formerly of Great Neck and Queens, N.Y., he was head of business affairs at William Morris Agency in New York City for many years and specialized in entertainment law.
William H. Welch ’53 of Northampton, Mass., died Oct. 4, 2007. An associate justice of the Superior Court of Massachusetts from 1986 to 1998, he practiced law in Northampton at O’Brien and Welch early in his career and then was a solo practitioner before his state judgeship appointment. He was town counsel to several local towns and was president of the Cooley Dickinson board of trustees for 10 years. In 1981, he was named Citizen of the Year by the Northampton Chamber of Commerce. A fellow of the American College of Trial Lawyers, he also was president of the Hampshire County Bar Association, was active in the Massachusetts Bar Association and served on the Board of Bar Overseers. He enlisted in the U.S. Navy during his senior year of high school and served in the final year of WWII.
George D. Coupounas ’54 of Chestnut Hill, Mass., died July 5, 2007. A tax attorney, he was a solo practitioner in Chestnut Hill and was president of Orthodox Christian Laity.
Herbert D. Katz ’54 of Hollywood, Fla., died Sept. 23, 2007. A lawyer and real estate developer in Broward County, he helped incorporate the town of Davie and served as its first city attorney in the late 1950s. He was president of the Jewish Federation of South Broward and, later, the merged Jewish Federation of Broward County and was an officer of the American Israel Public Affairs Committee. He served as a lieutenant in the U.S. Coast Guard.
Alan R. Hunt LL.M. ’55 of Kennett Square, Pa., died May 28, 2007. He specialized in trusts, estates and health care at Montgomery, McCracken, Walker & Rhoads of Philadelphia. He joined the firm in the 1980s, after more than 20 years at Duane Morris. An expert on the Fifth Amendment, he advised Quakers who were appearing before congressional committees during the McCarthy era, and he was a leader of the “Untie the Elderly” movement, which sought to eliminate restraints in long-term care settings. In 1971, he was chairman of a committee on aging of the Philadelphia Yearly Committee of the Society of Friends. Also in the early 1970s, he helped a group of Quakers acquire property to set up a life-care community in Kennett Square. He served on the life-care community board for 34 years, 20 years as chairman, and he died as a resident at the center he helped found more than 35 years ago.
Kenneth F. Phillips ’55 of Ashland, Ore., died May 28, 2007.
Gene W. Krick ’56 of Toledo, Ohio, died Aug. 21, 2007. He was a solo practitioner in the Toledo area, where he focused his practice on family law. He was a veteran of WWII.
Bruce L. Balch ’57 of Surprise, Ariz., died May 2, 2007. A longtime resident of Rock Island, Ill., he was a tax attorney at Katz, McAndrews, Balch, Lefstein & Fieweger. A certified public accountant, he co-founded the western chapter of the Illinois CPA Society. He was chairman of a state taxation committee of the Illinois Bar Association and a committee of the ABA’s tax section. He was also chairman of the city of Rock Island Beautification Commission and a member of the city’s Youth Guidance Council. He enlisted in the U.S. Army in 1950, was later commissioned as an officer and remained in the U.S. Army Reserve, retiring in 1983 as a colonel. He was president of the Sun City Grand Republican Club and was a Republican precinct chairman in Surprise. He served as a director and treasurer of the Tri-City Jewish Center and was president of the Quad City Lodge of B’nai B’rith.
Donald W. Randall ’57 of Brownsville, Vt., died Feb. 13, 2006. He was general counsel at Frank E. Basil Inc. in Washington, D.C., and specialized in corporate law. He served in the U.S. Army Air Forces during WWII.
Bradford Wells ’57 of Denver died July 27, 2007. A Denver lawyer for more than 30 years, he was a founding partner of McClain, Drexler & Matthews. Prior to attending HLS, he briefly served in the U.S. Navy and then joined the Foreign Service, supervising visa applications in Germany and Liberia. He resigned from that position in protest of McCarthy-era policies. After retiring from his law firm, he worked at the food pantry at Metro CareRing and established a counseling center, the Samaritan Center, at the Wellshire Presbyterian Church.
Jerome A. Bauman ’58 of Plantation, Fla., died May 10, 2007. A resident of Broward County for 35 years, he was vice president and general counsel for Gulfstream Land Development and a solo practitioner in Plantation. He was a director of Barnett Bank, a member of the Florida Assault Weapons Commission and the founding president of Temple Kol Ami Emanuel.
David W. Robinson II ’58 of Columbia, S.C., died Aug. 9, 2007. For more than 40 years, he practiced law at Robinson, McFadden and Moore in Columbia. From 1970 to 1975, he was general counsel for Liberty Corp. and Liberty Life Insurance Co. in Greenville. He was active in local and national professional organizations, including the American Law Institute. He served as a first lieutenant in the U.S. Army in Austria.
Daniel Steiner ’58 of Cambridge, Mass., died June 10, 2007. For 22 years, he was general counsel of Harvard University, and he later served as president of the New England Conservatory, the first nonmusician to lead NEC. During his tenure there, the conservatory hired key faculty members, created a joint-degree program with Harvard and launched a $100 million capital campaign. Earlier in his career, he worked in the Johnson administration’s State Department, first as assistant general counsel for legislation and then as chief of legislative programs for the Agency for International Development, and served as general counsel for the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission. He was the brother of HLS Professor Emeritus Henry Steiner ’55.
Harold J. Wallum Jr. ’58 of Succasunna, N.J., died June 29, 2007. An environmental solo practitioner, he focused his practice on federal and state environmental law and regulation. For several years, he served as president of the New Jersey Audubon Society. He served in the Judge Advocate General’s Corps in the U.S. Navy.
Harvey M. Brownrout ’60 of Sarasota, Fla., died July 23, 2007. Formerly of Westport, Conn., he was an intellectual property attorney at Xerox Corp. for 30 years.
Alan J. Davis ’60 of Philadelphia died May 9, 2007. A Philadelphia defense attorney and city solicitor, he was counsel and lead negotiator during labor negotiations with city unions in 1992. He began his career in 1961 with Wolf, Block, Schorr & Solis-Cohen. He successfully defended mob boss Angelo Bruno in a federal racketeering case and later prosecuted mob bosses as an assistant district attorney and chief of the appeals division of the district attorney’s office from 1966 to 1968. He returned to Wolf Block in 1968 and was there until 1991, with the exception of three years in the 1980s when he served as a city solicitor.
Sidney F. Wentz ’60 of Hobe Sound, Fla.; Little Compton, R.I.; and Florham Park, N.J., died July 18, 2007. A longtime employee of Crum & Forster, an insurance holding company, he held several executive positions with the company, retiring as chairman and CEO in 1988. In the 1960s, he was an attorney at White & Case in New York City and a corporate attorney for AT&T. A chairman of the board of the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation for 10 years, he was also a director of several companies, including Ace Limited Insurance Co. and Castle Energy Corp. He served in the U.S. Navy from 1954 to 1957.
Robert W. Worley Jr. ’60 of Riverside and Old Greenwich, Conn., and Marion, Mass., died May 26, 2007. He worked for Chase Manhattan Bank in New York City, now known as J.P. Morgan Chase. Earlier in his career, he was a partner at Cummings and Lockwood in Stamford, Conn., before opening offices for the firm in Palm Beach and Naples, Fla. He held leadership positions in the First Church of Christ, Scientist, in Greenwich and in the Christian Science Society of Buzzards Bay, Mass. For nearly three decades, he sang in the Greenwich Choral Society, and then in the Sippican Choral Society of Marion, Mass. He served in the U.S. Army and Army Reserve.
Jon M. Anderson ’61 of Columbus, Ohio, died May 14, 2007. For 44 years, he was an attorney at Porter Wright Morris & Arthur in Columbus. He retired as senior partner last January. He was a longtime attorney for White Castle System and, for 22 years, served on its board of directors. From 1970 to 1975, he was a bar examiner for the Ohio Supreme Court. He also taught at Ohio State University College of Law and was a trustee of Berea College in Kentucky. He founded Pro Musica Chamber Orchestra and was a trustee of the Greater Columbus Arts Council and Opera Columbus. Interested in Anatolian textiles, he was on the advisory council of the Textile Museum in Washington, D.C., and he served on the Columbus Museum of Art’s committee on collections.
Louis J. Gonnella ’61 of Lexington, Mass., died June 13, 2007. He was a judge of the Woburn District Court.
Girard L. Stein ’62 of Port Townsend, Wash., died Aug. 17, 2007. He was an environmental attorney at Winer, Neuberger and Sive in New York City and a founder of American Home Shield, a home-warranty company. He served in the U.S. Army in 1962 and then in the Army Reserve in the Judge Advocate General’s Corps until 1969.
Richard E. Guthrie ’64 of Dallas died Feb. 15, 2006. He was corporate counsel of Lennox Industries in Dallas.
Jeffrey P. Ossen ’65 of Mansfield Center, Conn., and Singer Island, Fla., died Sept. 16, 2007. In the manufactured housing business for 35 years, he was the founder and president of the Connecticut Manufactured Housing Association as well as president of the New England Manufactured Housing Association. He also practiced real estate and family law and taught business law at the University of Connecticut in Storrs. Active in town and state politics, he served as a member of the Mansfield Town Council and as deputy mayor.
D.W. Latimore Jr. ’68 of Atlanta died Sept. 12, 2007. For 38 years, he practiced law in Atlanta. Before law school, he worked for the international relief organization CARE in Vietnam and Turkey. He served as a lieutenant in the U.S. Navy.
Pamela Minzner ’68 of Albuquerque, N.M., died Aug. 31, 2007. The first woman chief justice of the New Mexico Supreme Court, she was appointed to the court in 1994. She served as chief justice from 1999 to 2001 and continued as senior justice until her death. She also helped establish and served as co-chairwoman of the Commission on Professionalism. From 1984 to 1994, she was a judge on the New Mexico Court of Appeals, serving as chief judge her last year on the court. Earlier, she practiced law in Boston with Bingham, Dana & Gould and in Albuquerque with Cotter, Hernandez, Atkinson, Campbell & Kelsey. This year, she received the Professionalism Award, the highest honor of the State Bar of New Mexico. She was the wife of Richard Minzner ’68.
Steven M. Fleisher ’69 of Alamo, Calif., died May 3, 2007. For more than 30 years, he was an attorney in the Bay Area, and he most recently served as senior director of corporate compliance and privacy for Blue Shield of California. He was general counsel to the Mata Amritanandamayi Center, a humanitarian service organization in San Ramon, and he also worked with California Rural Legal Aid, Native American Legal Defense and the California Department of Health Services/Consumer Affairs Division.
Edward J. Kuriansky ’69 of New York City died July 10, 2007. A New York City attorney, he was senior managing director of Citigate Global Intelligence. Before joining the company, he was commissioner of New York City’s Department of Investigation under Mayor Giuliani. Earlier in his career, he was a federal and state prosecutor, served as New York state’s deputy attorney general, and was a special prosecutor for Medicaid Fraud Control and an assistant U.S. attorney in the Southern District of New York.
Richard A. Wilson LL.M. ’71 of Calgary, Alberta, Canada, died Sept. 4, 2007. For 35 years, he practiced law in Calgary.
Murray Alberts ’73 of Northboro, Mass., died May 20, 2007. He worked in his family’s shoe manufacturing business before attending law school at the age of 42. He practiced law in the Boston area and on Cape Cod. He also served in the U.S. Navy.
Peter G. Pfendler ’73 of Petaluma, Calif., died June 17, 2007. He founded Polaris Aircraft Leasing Corp. in San Francisco in 1974. The company was for a time the world’s largest commercial aircraft leasing company before it was sold to General Electric Credit Corp. in 1989. Pfendler later moved to a cattle ranch on Sonoma Mountain and devoted his time to wildlife conservation. He served as a director of the National Academy of Sciences, the California Nature Conservancy and the Peregrine Fund. From 1966 to 1970, he served as a U.S. Air Force pilot, flying 139 combat missions in Vietnam. He attained the rank of captain and received 16 combat medals, including the Distinguished Flying Cross.
Lawrence A. Manzanares ’82 of Denver died June 22, 2007. He was a judge and city attorney in Denver. He was appointed a judge of the Denver District Court in 1998, having previously served on the Denver County Court. He served a total of 15 years on the bench before being named Denver city attorney in January 2007. Earlier in his career, he was in private practice in Denver, specializing in civil litigation. He was a director of several nonprofit organizations, including Project PAVE and Mi Casa Resource Center for Women.
Darryl Hale ’86 of East Hartford, Conn., died May 17, 2007. An attorney for the National Labor Relations Board, he was the lead prosecutor for the board in a Yale University case in the 1990s that established the national precedent for recognizing the employee status of graduate teaching assistants. He was also a pastor at New Born Church of God and True Holiness in Newington.