Walter H. Seward ’24 of West Orange, N.J., died Sept. 13, 2008. The oldest living graduate of Harvard, Seward died one month before his 112th birthday, and at the time of his death, he was the third-oldest man in the United States and fifth-oldest man in the world. A title attorney, he practiced law in New Jersey from 1937 until well into his 90s. Earlier in his career, he practiced real estate law and later worked at Fidelity Union Title & Mortgage Guarantee Co. He was profiled in the Fall 2004 Harvard Law Bulletin.
Lydon F. Maider ’30 of Gloversville, N.Y., died June 2, 2008. For more than 70 years, he was a practicing attorney. He entered the practice of law with his father in 1930 in Gloversville. He served on the board of the Fonda, Johnstown and Gloversville Railroad and City National Bank, and was president of the Nathan Littauer Hospital Board during the construction of the present hospital. He joined the U.S. Navy in 1943 and attained the rank of lieutenant commander. He represented the Navy in labor relations matters in and around Boston.
Jesse W. Curtis Jr. ’31 of Irvine, Calif., died Aug. 5, 2008. A federal judge, he held judicial positions in Southern California for 37 years before retiring at the age of 85 in protest of rigid federal sentencing guidelines. He later worked as an arbitrator. He began his law career in San Bernardino, where he worked for 22 years before he was appointed to the Superior Court. Nine years later, President Kennedy named him to the U.S. District Court in Los Angeles, where he served until retiring in 1990.
Richard L. Bird Jr. ’33 of Salt Lake City died Feb. 15, 2008. A longtime Utah attorney, he began his career there as a law clerk in the Utah Supreme Court. He worked as a Utah State Tax Commission attorney before forming a law firm in 1944, which became known as Richards, Bird & Kump. Before moving to Salt Lake City in 1938, he spent three years working for the Department of Justice in Washington, D.C. Reputed to be the oldest practicing lawyer in Utah, he also was active in his church and was a Boy Scout and Explorer leader. He led many community service organizations, including the Community Services Council, the Mental Health Association of Utah, and Kiwanis International.
Ralph E. Bucknam ’34-’36 of Huntington, N.Y., and Sarasota, Fla., died July 29, 2008. He founded the international patent law firm of Bucknam & Archer. Nominated to the All-American football team, he coached the Harvard football team while he was in law school. After retiring, he played viola in community orchestras, the University Orchestra at Hofstra and the Bay Area Symphony. He also played violin and cello—instruments that he made himself. He served in WWII as a lieutenant colonel in the U.S. Army Air Forces.
Frederick M. English ’34-’35 of Princeton, N.J., died June 21, 2008. He served as assistant prosecutor of Mercer County, was a legal analyst with the state of New Jersey’s Division of Taxation, and later served as New Jersey’s deputy attorney general. A longtime resident of Princeton, he was president of the Historical Society of Princeton and the New Jersey State Society of Sons of the Revolution. He was also the author of a biography of Gen. Hugh Mercer, a Revolutionary War hero. During WWII, he served in the U.S. Army, attaining the rank of lieutenant colonel.
Everett C. Ekings ’35 of Mount Arlington, N.J., died June 24, 2008.
Maurice Epstein ’35 of Chestnut Hill, Mass., and Palm Beach, Fla., died Feb. 10, 2008. He specialized in labor relations and also pursued business and real estate ventures, playing a key role as the first attorney and first franchise owner for Dunkin’ Donuts. Following law school, he worked in the Roosevelt administration during the New Deal, and he later returned to Boston, where he spent time in private practice. He participated in the same book group for 40 years and also belonged to a world affairs club. He was an active member of Temple Mishkan Tefila.
John M. Richardson ’35 of Kennett Square, Pa., died Jan. 12, 2008. A longtime New York City attorney, he practiced corporate law with Cahill, Gordon & Reindel for almost 40 years.
John G. Coffey ’36 of Warwick, R.I., died Feb. 12, 2008. A senior partner in the firm Coffey, McGovern, Noel and Novogroski, he also served as a state representative from East Providence from 1944 to 1948, a state senator from 1948 to 1952 and secretary of the Rhode Island Democratic State Committee from 1950 to 1963. He was also a director of Providence Washington Insurance Co., Providence Washington Life Insurance Co. and AAA of Rhode Island, and he was a trustee of Old Stone Mortgage & Realty Trust and Kent County Memorial Hospital.
John W. Myers ’36 of Beverly Hills, Calif., died Jan. 31, 2008. A leading civilian test pilot during WWII, he helped develop the first American fighter plane designed specifically for night combat, the P-61 Black Widow. He joined Northrop Aircraft as its chief engineering test pilot in 1941 and later became its senior vice president and director. Early in his career, he practiced law with O’Melveny & Myers and initiated the firm’s entertainment law practice. He also later became chairman of Pacific Airmotive Corp. and formed Airflite, a fixed-base aviation services facility at Long Beach Airport. After retiring, he continued to fly, and he was 90 when he gave up flying his own jet. An active philanthropist in the Central Valley community, he donated a significant part of his cattle ranch in the Merced area to the Nature Conservancy. He also made pioneering financial contributions to the University of California, Merced, to assist in its early development. In 1944, while in New Guinea teaching pilots to fly the Black Widow, he gave a sightseeing ride to Charles Lindbergh.
Leonard M. Salter ’36 of Newton Highlands, Mass., died May 24, 2008. Specializing in debtors’ and creditors’ rights and commercial law, he practiced law with the firm of Wasserman and Wasserman, which became Wasserman and Salter. He self-published 51 books, writing on themes such as arms control and disarmament. During WWII, he served as an interpreter in a medical unit.
Francis Hosmer Culkin ’37-’38 of Oswego, N.Y., died March 28, 2008. A longtime Oswego attorney, he practiced law there for 50 years and was a trustee of the public library for 43. He was also a founding member of and served in executive positions for Operation Oswego County. He was a field artillery officer in the U.S. Army during WWII.
Frank C. Cheston Jr. ’38 of Warren, N.J., died March 25, 2008. For the majority of his legal career, he was an attorney for the Bell System. Most recently, he was the general counsel, secretary and treasurer for Bell Laboratories in Murray Hill, N.J. He was also a general attorney, secretary and treasurer for the Sandia Corp. in Albuquerque, N.M., and senior counsel for Western Electric Corp. He also served as a trustee of Central Presbyterian Church and a director of the Summit Area Old Guard. During WWII, he was a captain in the U.S. Army’s Office of the Judge Advocate General at Wright-Patterson Field, and during the Korean War he worked at the Pentagon.
Sidney C. Levine ’38-’40 of Des Moines, Iowa, died June 22, 2008. For more than 60 years, he was an attorney in Des Moines, including serving as assistant attorney for Polk County. He was chairman of the Iowa Civil Liberties Union and served on the state Human Rights Commission. A U.S. Navy veteran of WWII, he served in the Judge Advocate General Office of the Naval Reserve and as a commander of the Iowa and Nebraska division of Jewish War Veterans.
William H. Peck ’39 of Southbury, Conn., died March 24, 2008. He practiced law in New York City and then in Oyster Bay, where he lived for many years. He was an active member of Planting Fields Arboretum, Theodore Roosevelt Sanctuary and Christ Church in Oyster Bay before moving to Southbury. A decorated veteran, he served in the U.S. Navy during WWII.
Edward Tefft Barker ’40 of Sarasota, Fla., died March 22, 2008. He was a partner at Hiscock, Cowie, Bruce, Lee & Mawhinney in Syracuse, N.Y. He was a trustee of the Manlius Pebble Hill School and the Crouse-Irving Memorial Hospital and president of the Council of Social Agencies.
Edwin D. Efros ’40 of New York City died Aug. 2, 2008.
Jacob N. Gross ’40 of Wilmette, Ill., died April 30, 2007. An attorney for 60 years, he was of counsel at Abramson & Fox in Chicago. He represented the international arm of Machinists District and local lodges for 50 years. In 1973, he was engaged as special counsel to a subcommittee of a congressional Small Business Committee to investigate the commodity futures market, principally the Chicago Mercantile Exchange and publicly and privately owned grain merchants. The investigation triggered the congressional movement that led to the enactment of the Commodity Futures Trading Act.
Waino T. Ray ’40-’41 of Scarborough, Maine, died Feb. 4, 2008. For 25 years, he served as manager of the Life, Accident and Health Department in Maine. One of the first in Maine to receive the Chartered Life Underwriters designation, he served as president of the Maine chapter of CLU and of the Maine General Agents and Managers Association. During WWII, he served in the U.S. Army Air Forces, stationed in Boca Raton, Fla., where he became the noncommissioned officer in charge of the officer’s radar school.
Marvin A. Cohen ’41 of Cincinnati died July 21, 2008. A longtime resident of Jackson, Miss., he was a partner at what is now known as Watkins Ludlam Winter & Stennis, and he instructed the Mississippi chancery clerks on filing the Uniform Commercial Code. During WWII, he served in the U.S. Navy, as captain of a landing craft tank in the Atlantic and later as a lieutenant in the Pacific. He was an active member of the Jackson Kiwanis Club and served on the board of the Kidney Foundation.
Victor Cohen ’41 of Salem, Mass., and Delray Beach, Fla., died July 4, 2008. He spent much of his career as a managing tax partner at Grant Thornton, a national CPA firm. After retirement at age 70, he continued managing personal estates until he was 91. His professional career included 33 years as president of the Boston Tax Council. He was also a member of the Massachusetts State Board of Public Accountancy and president and later a director of the Jewish Rehabilitation Center in Swampscott, Mass. For more than 30 years, he was a moderator and lecturer at Massachusetts and federal tax forums held at Northeastern University and Bentley College.
John J. Downes ’41 of Larkspur, Calif., died Feb. 7, 2008. He began his career as an attorney for the U.S. government in Washington, D.C., and then relocated to San Francisco, where he worked for many years in law and banking, retiring as executive vice president and chairman of the trust department of Crocker Citizens Bank. Involved in Dominican College (now Dominican University) for 20 years, he was a board member of its Mother Mary Raymond Scholarship Fund and later served the college as a trustee. He also served on the board of the Catholic Social Service Agency. During WWII, he was a captain in the U.S. Army’s department of transportation.
Robert H. Loeb ’41 of Birmingham, Ala., died March 29, 2008. His legal career strongned more than 50 years and included arguments before the Supreme Court. He was a president of the Young Men’s Business Club, the Speech and Hearing Clinic, Traveler’s Aid, Temple Emanu-El and Hillcrest Country Club. During WWII, he served in the anti-aircraft division in North Africa and Italy, and was then a judge advocate in the U.S. Army, retiring as captain.
Louis J. Metzger ’41 of Maplewood, N.J., died June 2, 2008. For 60 years he worked as an investment counselor, living in Maplewood. He was a president of Congregation Beth El. During WWII, he served as a captain in the U.S. Army in the China-Burma-India theater.
Dwight A. Newell ’41 of Pasadena, Calif., died May 6, 2008. He was a longtime attorney with Burke, Williams and Sorenson of Los Angeles. During WWII, he served as a U.S. naval officer in the Pacific.
John P. Sparrow ’41 of Oakland, Calif., died May 30, 2008. An attorney in the San Francisco Bay Area for many years, he served as deputy district attorney in Alameda County, U.S. attorney for the Northern District of California and general counsel for the Regents of the University of California. In 1972, he was appointed a judge of the Superior Court of Alameda County. He was also a part-time professor at Golden Gate Law School, San Francisco Law School and the University of San Francisco Law School. In 1983, he co-founded the Oakland College of Law, where he served as associate dean and professor. During WWII, he served in the U.S. Navy. He retired from the Naval Reserve with the rank of captain.
Edwin M. Warner ’41 of Geneva, Ohio, died March 19, 2008. A longtime resident of and lawyer in Geneva, he started practicing there in 1941. He also worked at Thompson Aircraft Products Co. He was later appointed by the township’s trustees to be justice of the peace, and he served as chairman of the zoning commission for 60 years. During WWII, his career was interrupted briefly when he served on the legal staff of the War Production Board.
Howard Wood III ’41 of Chestertown, Md., died April 5, 2008. For more than 42 years, he was a solo practitioner in Centreville, Md. From 1980 to 1984, he served on the statewide Attorney’s Grievance Committee. A conservationist, he established, with his sisters, Riverbend Environmental Center in Gladwyne, Pa., and also helped to start the Chester River Association and the Eastern Shore Land Conservancy. In 1987, he was named Conservationist of the Year by the Chesapeake Bay Foundation. He and his wife, Mary, also developed the strongiard Neck Foundation, which raised money to provide housing for low-income families in Queen Anne’s County.
R. Palmer Baker Jr. ’42 of New York City died March 3, 2008. He was instrumental in the creation of the Ludwig Institute for Cancer Research, of which he was chairman, and the Vera Institute of Justice, a nonprofit research and policy organization that examines issues such as prison violence and parole policies. He also helped to create the first of Vera’s 17 spin-off corporations, a nonprofit that addresses addiction and addiction-related problems, now called Project Renewal. Throughout his career he specialized in legal work related to criminal justice issues and addiction. He was a chairman of Argus Community and a trustee of New York-Presbyterian Hospital and Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute. During WWII, he served in the U.S. Navy, attaining the rank of lieutenant commander.
John E. Bellatti ’43 of Jacksonville, Ill., died May 19, 2008. A longtime attorney and active community member in Jacksonville, he served as president of the Morgan County Bar Association and led many Jacksonville organizations, serving as president of the Jaycees, the Chamber of Commerce and the Jacksonville Area Industrial Development Corp. He was a senior warden and vestry member under two rectors of Trinity Episcopal Church and director of the former First National Bank. During WWII, he served as a U.S. naval officer aboard the USS Baltimore and retired with the rank of naval lieutenant. He was awarded one Silver Star and four Bronze Stars for combat duty in nine battles in the South Pacific, including the Marshall Islands, Iwo Jima, the Philippines and Okinawa.
Bernard H. Cantor ’43 of Raleigh, N.C., died July 28, 2008. He practiced law in Johnson City, Tenn., from 1946 to 2005. Early in his career, he was an attorney for the Office of Scientific Research and Development. An active member of the Washington County Democratic Party, he represented Tennessee as a delegate to the 1972 Democratic National Convention and ran for Congress that same year. An arbitrator, he was a member of the Federal Mediation and Conciliation Service and the American Arbitration Association. He was also a guest lecturer and instructor in labor relations and political science at East Tennessee State University.
Cleveland C. Burton ’44 of Shreveport, La., died Feb. 22, 2008. An attorney with Lunn, Irion, Switzer, Johnson and Salley, he specialized in consumer protection law. He was an assistant attorney general for Louisiana and chairman of a committee that provided legal counsel for individuals charged with felonies who could not afford to pay for their defense. He was also a horse farmer and a member of many organizations, including the Harvard Club of Louisiana, the Shreveport and Texarkana country clubs, and the Civic Opera Association.
Charles H. Weiland ’45 of Aurora, Ill., died May 22, 2008. He was a partner at Lord, Bissell & Brook, where he practiced for more than 35 years. He was also admitted to practice in the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois, the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 7th Circuit and the U.S. Supreme Court. During WWII, he entered the U.S. Army and served 24 months in the European theater of operations with the 47th Replacement Battalion.
Walter D. Boyle ’45-’46 of Hennepin, Ill., died April 13, 2008. He practiced in Putnam County for more than 70 years and served as state attorney for 40 years. A longtime civic leader in Hennepin, he was a trustee of the Foundation Board for Illinois Valley Community College and received numerous awards for his service to the town, including Hennepin Citizen of the Year. He was inducted into the Hall of Fame for Illinois Valley Community College. During WWII, he served in the U.S. Navy.
Alan T. Nolan ’47 of Indianapolis died July 27, 2008. For 45 years, he was an attorney at the firm that is now Ice Miller, where he was chairman of the management committee. He also was chairman of the Indiana Supreme Court’s Disciplinary Committee. A Civil War lecturer and scholar, he wrote or co-wrote more than five books, including “The Iron Brigade: A Military History” in 1961, which was named by Civil War Times Illustrated as one of the “100 best books ever written on the Civil War.” In 1993 he received an honorary Doctor of Humane Letters from Indiana University, and the following year he was given the Nivens-Freeman award by the Chicago Civil War Round Table. He was a founder of the Indiana Civil Liberties Union and the Civil War Round Table and a member of the Catholic Interracial Council. He was honored by two governors with the Sagamore of the Wabash award, the highest honor presented by the governor of Indiana.
Peter Shan-ching Wang ’47 of Larchmont, N.Y., died April 20, 2008.
Eugene A. Dinet Jr. ’47-’48 of St. Marys, Kan., died May 19, 2008. He taught for 20 years at St. Mary’s College as professor of French and Latin. He served as a tertiary in the Order of St. Dominic in the Catholic Church in St. Marys, where he was a longtime resident. During WWII, he served in the Office of Strategic Services, the predecessor to the CIA.
James A. Avery ’48 of Canandaigua, N.Y., died Oct. 7, 2007. A solo practitioner in Canandaigua, he was a hospital trustee and, from 1959 to 1983, a city judge.
James H. Barnett ’48 of Fall River, Mass., died Aug. 22, 2008. A longtime resident of Providence, R.I., he was a partner and worked in the trust department at Edwards and Angell for 54 years. He began his career at Grenough, Lyman and Cross in Providence. He was a board member of the Gordon School, Trinity Repertory Co., Beneficent House, the Westport River Watershed Alliance and the Westport Land Conservation Trust, among other organizations. During WWII, he was a meteorologist with the U.S. Army Air Forces in the Pacific theater.
Matthew J. Browne Jr. ’48 of Carrollton, Texas, died June 18, 2008. He was general counsel of Esperanza Oil and Gas. Early in his career, he served as an oil scout for Humble Oil and Refining Co., and he remained in the oil and gas business until retiring in 2000. Prior to his time at HLS, he served as a U.S. Marine in WWII.
Lewis H. Johnson ’48 of Medina, Wash., died May 6, 2008. He served as the president and CEO for several tug and barge companies that operated to and from Alaska. During WWII, he first served as a combat medic and was assigned to the U.S. Army’s foreign area and language program. He then served in the 81st Medical Battalion of the 11th Armored Division, which was involved in the Battle of the Bulge and fought across southern Germany to Linz, Austria, where it liberated a concentration camp and met advancing squadrons of the Russian army at the end of the war.
Noah N. Langdale Jr. ’48 of Atlanta died Feb. 23, 2008. He practiced law in Georgia for seven years before becoming an instructor for the American Institute and a department chairman at Valdosta State College. He received an honorary doctorate from the University of Alabama in 1957 and went on to become president of Georgia State College, where he served for 31 years. He helped transform the college into Georgia State University by the time he retired in 1988. In 2005 he received the Paul W. Bryant Alumni-Athlete Award, in recognition of his outstanding character, contributions to society and professional achievements. He joined the U.S. Navy in 1942 and served in the Pacific during WWII.
Bernard T. Loughran ’48 of Belmont, Mass., and Juno Beach, Fla., died July 2, 2008. A specialist in civil litigation and workers’ compensation matters, in 1971 he co-founded Loughran and Corbett Attorneys in Watertown, Mass., where he practiced law until his retirement in 1994. From 1951 to 1971, he worked for the Employers Mutual Liability Insurance Company of Wisconsin, becoming the New England branch legal manager. He was president of the Workers’ Compensation Trial Bar of Massachusetts and president of what is now the West Suburban Bar Association.
Walter H. Medak ’48 of Walnut Creek, Calif., died Feb. 18, 2008. He practiced law in Oakland and Walnut Creek for 40 years, specializing in personal injury law. A litigator, he successfully argued a case before the Supreme Court.
Robert H. Nathan ’48 of West Hartford and Westbrook, Conn., and Venice, Fla., died April 27, 2008. For more than 40 years, he was a partner in the Hartford firm of Gilman & Marks, where he specialized in real estate law. He enlisted in the U.S. Army Air Forces in WWII, serving as a lieutenant and flying as a navigator on bombing missions over Germany.
George N. Prince ’48 of Seattle died May 20, 2008. A Seattle lawyer, he first practiced law with Bogle & Gates and later in private practice. He then served with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission, where he rose to be the assistant regional administrator for regulation. Representing himself, he obtained a Federal Court injunction requiring state election officials to conduct the 1974 elections for the state legislature and the U.S. House of Representatives in legislative and congressional districts of equal population. He served as a German translations officer in military intelligence near Washington, D.C., from 1944 until his release from active duty in 1946.
Jacob Rand ’48 of Jamesburg, N.J., died Feb. 29, 2008. A longtime resident of Long Branch, he held many positions there during his legal career. He served as attorney for the board of adjustment and the library, assistant city attorney, municipal prosecutor, acting city manager, city representative for the Open Space park programs and, finally, magistrate judge, a position he held for 12 years. He was also involved in several charitable organizations, including the Congregation Brothers of Israel in Long Branch, the local Jewish War Veterans and B’nai B’rith. He served in the U.S. Army as a radioman in North Africa during WWII.
Samuel Storey ’48 of San Francisco died Feb. 7, 2008. He was in private practice in San Francisco, where he had lived since 1953. He spent his summers in Chilmark, Mass., and was a regular attendee of events at the Martha’s Vineyard Hebrew Center. During WWII, he served in the U.S. Army.
Jere N. Sullivan ’48 of Bakersfield, Calif., died May 6, 2008. He was a partner at the law firm of West, Vizzard, Howden, & Baker, which later was renamed Vizzard, Baker, Sullivan & McFarland. At the time of his death, he had been of counsel with Borton, Petrini, & Conron for more than 20 years. He was president of both the Kern County Bar Association and the East Bakersfield Rotary. He received the Bench and Bar Award from the Kern County Bar Association in 1993 and was honored by Rotary International as a Paul Harris Fellow. During WWII, he enlisted in the U.S. Army and was sent to join the 45th Infantry Division in Africa. Captured by the Germans at Anzio, he spent 14 months as a POW in Germany until his escape on April 15, 1945. For his service, he was awarded the POW Medal, the Combat Infantryman’s Badge with Clusters and the Bronze Star.
Henry A. “Hal” Tilghman ’48 of Norwich, Vt., died June 14, 2008. An Episcopal priest, he entered the ministry in 1957 and was pastor at St. John the Evangelist in Yalesville, Conn. He was later headmaster at St. Bernard’s School in Gladstone, N.J., and at St. Anne’s-Belfield School in Charlottesville, Va., and was a pastor in Norwich, Vt., from 1974 to 1986. While in Norwich, he worked as an attorney and was active in senior housing. Early in his career, he was in private practice in Southport, Conn., and worked in the corporate law department at Aetna Life in Hartford. After retiring to Chappaquiddick Island, he was active in several conservation committees. During WWII, he served as a lieutenant on the USS Chauncey and remained in the U.S. Naval Reserve until 1963, retiring as a commander.
Gordon M. Tuttle ’48 of Darien, Conn., died May 8, 2008. A Connecticut attorney, he also was vice chairman of Avco Corp. and senior vice president of Textron. During WWII, he served as a staff sergeant in an artillery battalion of Patton’s Army and was awarded the Silver Star, the Bronze Star and the Purple Heart.
Max J. Allen ’49 of Brookline, Mass., died Sept. 15, 2008. He practiced law in Boston much of his career, and for 10 years he served as the director of inmate legal services at the Plymouth House of Correction. He was appointed India’s first honorary consul in New England. During WWII, he served in the Pacific as a naval officer during the Battle of Okinawa. He retired as a commander in the Naval Reserve after 27 years.
John E. Corrigan Jr. ’49 of Kenilworth, Ill., died Aug. 29, 2008. He was a senior vice president of the First National Bank of Chicago and a founding partner of Hedberg, Tobin, Flaherty and Whalen. He was also a life member of the University Club of Chicago. He served in the U.S. Army in WWII and the Korean War.
Donald A. Delahunt ’49 of Providence, R.I., died May 22, 2008. For 54 years, he was a practicing attorney in Pawtucket and Providence until his retirement in 2003. During WWII, he was a bomber pilot in the U.S. Army Air Forces. He flew 37 missions over Germany and achieved the rank of captain.
William D. Eberle ’49 of Concord, Mass., died April 3, 2008. A former U.S. special trade representative, he spent much of his career in Boise, Idaho, where he was a partner at Richards, Haga & Eberle and then served four terms in the Idaho House of Representatives. He was one of the founders of the Boise Cascade Corp., serving as its vice president for seven years, and was a chairman and CEO of American Standard. From 1973 to 1974, he was director of the Cabinet for International Economic Policy, and he was an active member of the Aspen Institute. He also served as a director of the International Chamber of Commerce for many years, chairing their commission on trade-related issues, and was a director of the United States-Japan Foundation from 1986 to 1994. He was an officer in the U.S. Navy during WWII.
Norman N. Griffith ’49 of Portland, Ore., died March 24, 2008. A Portland attorney in private practice for 58 years, he was president of Riverview Abbey Mausoleum Co., a Portland-area business owned by his family for more than 75 years. He also wrote a book, “A Lawyer Looks at the Gospels,” a comprehensive study of the words of Jesus, which Griffith worked on for 35 years. He was an active member of the Junior Chamber of Commerce, SW Kiwanis Club and Christian Businessmen, and he served for 20 years as a director of the Multnomah Law Library. During WWII, he served in the U.S. Army in France and Belgium.
J. Rudolph Grimes ’49 of Guttenberg, N.J., died Sept. 7, 2007. Formerly of Liberia, he was the country’s secretary of state, its representative at various African and United Nations conferences, founder and first dean of the Louis Arthur Grimes Law School at the University of Liberia and chancellor of the Episcopal Diocese of Liberia. After earning degrees at HLS and Columbia University, he returned to Liberia in the 1950s and was appointed counsel of the Department of State. In 1958, he was appointed acting secretary of state, and he was elevated to full status in 1960 and played an important role in the formulation of the nation’s foreign policy. In 1985, his life was threatened by then President of Liberia Samuel K. Doe. He was imprisoned and tortured for a month, and his wife, Doris, was wounded. He returned to the United States with the help of the Anglican Church, various top U.S. officials, and several of his HLS classmates and remained in the U.S. for the rest of his life.
Erich W. Merrill ’49 of Memphis, Tenn., died April 20, 2008. A longtime attorney in Memphis, he practiced law until 2001. For his commitment to community service, he received the Sam Myar award from the Memphis Bar Association in 1964. During WWII, he served as a second lieutenant in the U.S. Army in the 42nd Infantry Division, 222nd Regiment, in which he led a rifle platoon through combat in France and Germany. He received a Silver Star for gallantry in action.
Cornelius J. Peck ’49 of Seattle died June 10, 2008. For 39 years he was professor of law at the University of Washington. He helped organize the school’s Asian Law Program in 1961 and later received a Ford Foundation International Law Fellowship to conduct research in the Philippines and Malaysia. He published the casebook “Cases and Materials on Negotiation” in 1972 and chaired a commission on tort reform whose recommendations led to several modifications in Washington’s tort laws. Interested in wine production and business, he was a pioneer vintner in Washington and helped form Associated Vintners, now Columbia Winery. He served in the U.S. Navy for two years.
Andrew Perl ’49 of Minneapolis died April 5, 2008. Formerly of New York City, he practiced law there for more than 50 years. He was also a Master Mason in Harmony Lodge No. 241 of the Grand Lodge of New York. Born in Romania (he came to the United States with his family as a teenager), he was fluent in many languages—Romanian, Hungarian, Hebrew, Yiddish and strongish as well as English—and served as a translator in the European theater of operations during WWII.
Mitchell S. Rieger ’49 of Vail, Colo., and Chicago died July 27, 2008. A longtime partner at Schiff Hardin, he specialized in insurance securities and futures litigation. Early in his career, he worked in the U.S. Attorney’s Office and was chief of the tax and criminal divisions before becoming first assistant in 1958. A fellow of the American College of Trial Layers, he also served on its Legal Ethics Committee and its Illinois State Committee. He was president of the Chicago chapter of the Federal Bar Association and national vice president of its 7th District. He was an avid photographer, and his photos are displayed in the hallways at Schiff Hardin’s Sears Tower offices. In 2007, he published a compendium of his work, “Faces and Places: 68 Years of Photography.” During WWII, he served as a lieutenant in the U.S. Navy.
Charles C. Smith ’49 of Greenwich, Conn., died July 15, 2008. For 32 years, he worked for New York Life Insurance Co., retiring as associate general counsel in 1981. He served in WWII in the Pacific.
P. Arthur Spence Jr. ’49 of Omaha, Neb., died Feb. 16, 2008. He began his career with Carpenter Paper Co. in Omaha in the early 1950s before moving to Minneapolis to become operations manager for Champion International Paper. After seven years in that position, he returned to Carpenter Paper, where he worked until he retired as the vice president of finance. He belonged to the Nebraska Society of Certified Accountants, the Omaha Lions Club and the American Legion. He served in the U.S. Army from 1944 to 1946.
Douglas F. Stevenson ’49 of Lisle, Ill., died April 15, 2008. Formerly of Medinah, he was a partner at Rooks, Pitt and Poust in Chicago for 35 years and later became a senior partner at the firm of Stevenson, Rusin, and Friedman, also in Chicago. Specializing in the field of workers’ compensation, he was later appointed to the Industrial Commission of Illinois. During his career, he was chairman of the Illinois Joint Employers Legislation Committee, executive director of the National Council of Self-Insurers from 1984 to 1998, and a trustee of the National Foundation for Unemployment Compensation and Workers’ Compensation in Washington, D.C. He was also director of Better Government Association of Chicago for two decades, including a term as its president. During WWII, he served in Europe as a member of the Counter Intelligence Corps team that recovered Hitler’s will.
John R. Schorger ’49-’50 of Tallahassee, Fla., died May 6, 2008. He was a city commissioner in Appleton, Wis., and taught English at several colleges before retiring to Tallahassee. In the mid-1990s, he helped spearhead a citizens committee to replace ramshackle holding pens near a landfill that served as the county animal shelter. The committee ultimately persuaded the city to build a $3 million animal shelter on six acres of land donated by the county, and the facility opened in 1996. During WWII, he volunteered to serve in the American Field Service, attached to the British 8th Army in North Africa, and he later joined the U.S. Navy.
Joseph Bare ’50 of Mill Valley, Calif., died June 30, 2008. A longtime partner at Pillsbury Winthrop Shaw Pittman in San Francisco, he joined the firm in 1952. He began his legal career in Frankfurt, Germany, in the High Commissioner’s Office, assisting in the rebuilding of West Germany’s legal system. During WWII, he served in the U.S. Army Air Forces.
Walter A. Bates ’50 of Tucson, Ariz., died Feb. 26, 2008. A resident of Shaker Heights, Ohio, for many years, he was a member of the former Cleveland law firm Arter & Hadden, where he specialized in antitrust and corporate trial law for 44 years. He was president of the Harvard Club of Cleveland and a member of the Ohio State, American and Cleveland bar associations, as well as many other civic associations. Bates, an avid boater, raced his 35-foot sailboat on Lake Erie for 19 years, and won flags and trophies in the Roberts Race, Lake Erie Race, Falcon Cup and Brown Race. He received his commission from the Naval Reserve Officers’ Training Corps in 1945 and served one year aboard a destroyer in the Atlantic. He was recalled by the Navy in 1951 and served on a destroyer in the Korean theater and as an aide to the chief of the Military Assistance Advisory Group in Oslo, Norway, until 1953.
Francis H. George ’50 of Spencer, Mass., died July 12, 2008. He was a presiding judge of what is now the East Brookfield Court from 1984 to 1989. He started his practice in Pittsfield, Mass., but later joined the Worcester firm of Stobbs, Stockwell and Tilton, specializing in insurance defense work. Later, he moved to private practice until 1974, when he was appointed to the District Court bench as an associate justice by Gov. Sargent. He served for 20 years as a trustee of the Worcester County 4-H Center and was president his last six years.
Daniel Neal Heller ’50 of Miami Beach, FL, died August 3, 2008. Nationally acclaimed as “The Man Who Beat the IRS” for his famous case against rogue government agents, he headed his own firm, Heller & Kaplan, for many years before joining Tew Cardenas LLP at age 80. As a defender of constitutional rights, he won the first “Government in the Sunshine” case in Florida. He was General Counsel to the Miami News, National Commander of the Jewish War Veterans, an observer at the Eichmann and Frankfurt war crimes trials, an official participant in the funeral of President John F. Kennedy and a 33rd degree Mason. He obtained the first public plea from Pope Paul VI to allow Russian Jews to emigrate. Supportive of civil rights, he provided free legal services to Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.’s Southern Christian Leadership Conference. He was a past president of the Florida Harvard Law School Association, co-chair of the Concert Association of Florida, a trustee of the Dade County Public Health Trust, a member of the Dade County Council of Arts & Sciences, a member of the Board of Advisors at Florida International University, and a founder of Mt. Sinai Hospital in Miami Beach. During WWII, he served in the U.S. Navy.
G. John Keto ’50 of Chevy Chase, Md., died May 5, 2008. An official at the Atomic Energy Commission for 26 years, he served as its assistant director of military application. After his service at the commission, he practiced law with Alvord & Alvord in Washington, D.C., until his retirement in 2001. During WWII, he served in the U.S. Navy, based in the U.S. and later in Germany.
Louis A. Leestinsky ’50 of Perrysburg, Ohio, died Feb. 24, 2008. He retired from R&D Electrical in Chicago in 1962, after working in several companies throughout the United States.
Donald R. Levy ’50 of Tuckahoe, N.Y., died June 29, 2008. An attorney and benefits consultant, he served as vice president and employee benefit consultant to Johnson & Higgins, vice president of human resources and director of employee benefits at the United States Tobacco Co., and senior consultant with William M. Mercer Inc. He also taught at the University of Connecticut, served as a panelist for the Practising Law Institute in New York City and lectured for professional groups. He published books with Prentice Hall and wrote several books, including the “Pension Handbook.”
Jack B. Purcell ’50 of Mill Valley,
Calif., died March 28, 2008. He was corporate vice president and West Coast counsel of CBS. He began his career in 1953 in the CBS law department, where he worked until his retirement in 1986. A member of the bar in both California and New York, he spent much of his career in Los Angeles, where his work included serving as a board member for the 28th Street YMCA in Watts for 20 years. He also did full-time pro bono legal work for La Raza Centro Legal in the Bay Area for six years following his retirement. He spent the last 10 years of his life volunteering with Youth in Arts in Marin County. In 1972, he won a gold medal in the 400m race at the Senior Olympics at the age of 51. He enlisted in the U.S. Army Air Forces in 1942, rose to the rank of major and served as a flight instructor.
Jeptha H. Wade ’50 of Bedford, Mass., died Aug. 8, 2008. A senior partner at
Choate, Hall and Stewart in Boston, he began his career as an intellectual property attorney for the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. A longtime resident of Bedford, he was a member of Bedford’s Historic District Commission and the Town Planning Board. He was an assistant in the formation of the U.S. Arms Control and Disarmament Agency during the Kennedy administration and an advocate for nuclear arms control, heading up the Lawyers Alliance for Nuclear Arms Control, now known as Lawyers Alliance for World Security. He was a trustee of both the Museum of Fine Arts and the Museum of Science in Boston, among other institutions.
Erlinda A.I. Espiritu LL.M. ’51 of Mindoro, Philippines, died June 24, 2008. For 32 years, she was president of a family-owned bank in Mindoro. Early in her career, she was corporate legal counsel for one of the biggest land developers in the Philippines. In 1951, she was the first woman to graduate from Harvard Law School. She was profiled in the Spring 2007 Harvard Law Bulletin.
Irwin Gostin ’51 of Las Vegas died March 20, 2008. During his early years as an attorney, he was active in civil rights and free speech litigation, often in conjunction with the American Civil Liberties Union. He moved to San Diego in 1956 and lived there for many years. He was a president of the San Diego chapter of the ACLU and spent 20 years in partnership at Gostin & Katz before forming his own practice. After the mid-1960s, he focused primarily on personal injury law. He retired in 1994 and moved to Las Vegas in 2002. He also owned and bred thoroughbred racing horses. He served in the U.S. Army after the end of WWII.
Harrison B. McCawley Jr. ’51 of Fort Washington, Md., died March 8, 2008. A tax attorney, he began his career in government as a staff attorney for the Joint Committee on Internal Revenue Taxation, eventually becoming the committee’s chief counsel. Following his retirement from government in the late 1970s, he joined the Washington, D.C., firm of Silverstein and Mullens and wrote and edited tax management portfolios that were published by the Bureau of National Affairs. He retired from law practice in 2001 but continued to edit and write management portfolios and provide tax advice. He served in Europe with the U.S. Army’s 78th Division during WWII and relocated to Europe after the war following hospitalization there for hearing loss.
Wallace O. Tanner ’51 of St. Johns, Ariz., died June 11, 2008. He was an Apache County attorney, a member of the law firm Jennings, Strouss, Salmon & Trask in Arizona, and general counsel for the James Stewart Co. He was also involved in real estate ventures, including the development of Mesa General Hospital. During WWII, he served in the U.S. Army Air Forces as an instructor.
Tarridge P. Andrews ’51-’52 of Naples, Fla., died Aug. 3, 2008. Formerly of Northborough, Mass., he was national sales manager at Amphenol, Westinghouse, ITT and Phalo Corp., before forming United Wire and Cable Corp. in Worcester, Mass., in 1966. He went on to acquire Electroweave in 1976 and General Wire Products in 1985. He was a member of the Worcester Club and a founding member of the Copper and New England Wire and Cable Clubs. He was a veteran of the U.S. Army’s Signal Corps, having served in Korea during the Korean conflict.
Stuart E. Keebler ’52 of Patterson, N.Y., died June 14, 2008. He was a partner at Milbank, Tweed, Hadley & McCloy in New York City.
Emmanuel W. “Michael” Metz ’52 of New York City died Aug. 6, 2008. A chief investment strategist and five-decade Wall Street veteran, he was an analyst for Oppenheimer & Co., where he had worked since 1969. He attained the position of chief strategist in 1990 and initially retired in 2002, but he returned to his role at Oppenheimer less than a year later. He began his career with Standard & Poor’s in 1959. He was often featured in major publications and on television during his career, and in recent years, he was one of the first analysts to raise red flags about the dangers of deteriorating housing and credit markets.
Harvey L. Schein ’52 of New York City; Washington, Conn.; and Sanibel, Fla., died May 13, 2008. A longtime figure in the entertainment industry, he served as president of CBS Records International in the 1960s and president and CEO of Sony America in the 1970s. A protégé of William S. Paley at CBS, he negotiated an agreement for a new record company, CBS/Sony Records. He joined Sony in 1972 and was credited with doubling its size and increasing annual sales to $750 million, in spite of championing the failed Betamax video recording system. He later served as an executive at Warner Communications and then head of PolyGram Corp. Devoted to the support of the arts, he helped build a performing arts center on Sanibel Island in Florida. He also was president of the broadcasting service Skyband. He briefly served in the U.S. Naval Reserve.
Frank David Gorman ’53 of Pinehurst, N.C., died March 23, 2007. He was general counsel of Kennecott Copper Corp. He also served on President Reagan’s Private Sector Commission on Cost Control. He was active in civic affairs in Pinehurst and surrounding Moore County.
James S. Gratton ’53 of Worcester, Mass., died July 23, 2008. A partner at Thayer, Smith and Gaskill, now Bowditch & Dewey, for many years, he retired as a senior partner in 1991. He served on the City of Worcester Human Rights Commission and was a trustee of Worcester Junior College and Central New England College, as well as a director of United Way of Central Massachusetts and the Social Service Planning Council. He was a lieutenant in the U.S. Navy.
A. John “Jack” May ’53 of Berwyn, Pa., and Hobe Sound, Fla., died March 23, 2008. Following his graduation from HLS, he joined the law firm of Duane, Morris and Heckscher (now Duane Morris) in Philadelphia. He was made partner in 1962 and served as vice chairman from 1985 to 1990, chairman and CEO from 1990 to 1995, and then counsel to the firm. He was also a director of the Pennsylvania Manufacturers’ Association and the PMA Foundation and a director and then chairman of the PMA Capital Corp. An active member of his community, he served on Easttown Township’s Zoning Board of Adjustment, Planning Commission, School Board and Board of Supervisors. He served in the U.S. Army as a second lieutenant with the 18th Airborne Corps and 45th Infantry Division in Korea from 1951 to 1952. He was then a reserve officer in the Pennsylvania National Guard until 1957.
Carl A. Spatz ’53 of Coconut Grove, Fla., died April 23, 2008. A lawyer in Florida for 50 years, he specialized in contracts and real estate.
Robert L. Wise ’53 of Belmont, Mass., died Jan. 4, 2008. A labor lawyer, he negotiated salary and work condition contracts for statewide police departments as well as for those of cities and towns. He was vice president of the Hebrew Immigrant Aid Society in Boston and was recently honored by the Boston Bar Association for 50 continuous years of law practice. He served as a cryptologist in Germany in the U.S. Army’s Counter Intelligence Corps.
David N. Barus ’54 of New York City and South Yarmouth, Mass., died March 2, 2008. He held several executive positions at Stevens Institute of Technology, including assistant to the president, vice president for university relations and senior counsel. Earlier in his career, he was special legal adviser to the U.S. commissioner of education on implementing the Civil Rights Act of 1964. He was also a special consultant to the New Jersey commissioner of education and founding director of the Project on Educational Planning, based at Rutgers University. For 10 years, he was director of the Association of Independent Colleges and Universities in New Jersey.
R. Gordon Harrison ’54 of Coupeville, Wash., died June 27, 2008. Formerly of Honolulu, he was a minister of the United Methodist Church. He served churches across the state of Washington, most recently Coupeville United Methodist Church. He was active in the HIV/AIDS ministry of the church’s Pacific Northwest Conference as well as a member of the AIDS task force in Island County. Prior to studying at Garrett-Evangelical Theological Seminary, he was a bank trust officer in Ohio. He served two years in the U.S. Army’s Judge Advocate’s Office at Tripler Army Medical Center.
Richard H. Strodel ’54 of Cotuit, Mass., and Atlantis, Fla., died May 4, 2007. A communications lawyer in Washington, D.C., he was a partner in the law firm Wheeler and Wheeler. In 1990, he joined Haley, Bader & Potts, and he stayed until retiring in 1997. A member of the National Presbyterian Church, he was a trustee, an elder and a chairman of Ingleside Presbyterian Home. He served in U.S. Army military intelligence.
Alan H. Wright ’54 of Muttontown, N.Y., died Feb. 25, 2008. He spent the majority of his career with the New York City law firm of Shearman & Sterling, where his principal client was Citigroup. He specialized in the leasing of commercial aircraft and is credited with a number of innovations that facilitated purchases of airline equipment. He was also a village justice for the Village of Muttontown. He served in the U.S. Army from 1954 to 1956.
Robert C. Boozer ’55 of Atlanta died April 14, 2008. After graduating from HLS, he studied in Rotterdam, Holland, on a Fulbright Scholarship. When he returned to Atlanta, he became an associate and then a partner at the firm Alston, Miller, strongn, & Shackleford. He then established the firm Ashmore & Boozer, now Troutman Sanders, and served as a senior partner there until retirement in 1992. Passionate about music, he performed as a bass vocalist with the Choral Guild of Atlanta, the Huff ‘n’ Puffs and the Atlanta Symphony Chorus.
Alan M. Breitman ’55 of Teaneck, N.J., died Feb. 23, 2008. He was a former resident of Livingston, N.J., where he spent 42 years prior to his move to Teaneck. He was director of taxes at the American Cyanamid Co. in Wayne, N.J. Earlier in his career, he was an assistant treasurer at Pfizer and vice president of tax at Revlon. He was also a president and trustee of Temple Beth Shalom. He served in the U.S. Navy from 1953 to 1955.
Earl L. Croman ’55 of San Antonio died April 25, 2008.
William C. Smith ’55 of Portland, Maine, died April 23, 2008. A longtime tax law, trusts and estates lawyer at Pierce Atwood in Portland, he served as its managing partner from 1983 to 1993. He was admitted to the U.S. Tax Court in 1960, and for 38 years, he served on the executive committee of the Federal Tax Institute. He was listed in “The Best Lawyers in America” for many years.
Herman L. Trautman ’55 of Nashville died Feb. 25, 2008. A professor at Vanderbilt Law School, he began his career practicing law in Evansville, Ind., and also taught at the University of Alabama Law School before joining the faculty at Vanderbilt, where he remained until his retirement in 1980. He later practiced law with his son as Trautman and Trautman for eight years before retiring a second time. He was a member of many professional organizations, including the American Law Institute and the American, Tennessee and Nashville bar associations. During WWII, he served as a lieutenant in the U.S. Navy.
Stanley L. Cohen ’56 of New York City died May 9, 2008. An international corporate banking attorney, he worked for the U.S. government in the early part of his career as a lawyer for the State Department under John F. Kennedy’s administration. He traveled worldwide on behalf of the State Department and then moved to New York to work in legal finance, first at Bankers Trust for more than 25 years and then for Donaldson, Lufkin & Jenrette. Before starting his law career, he served in the U.S. Army.
Robert S. Jones ’56 of Sandwich, Mass., died March 11, 2008. He began his career in private practice in Boston before moving to Louisville, Ky., to become corporate counsel for General Electric. He later moved to Tyler, Texas, where he was executive vice president and general counsel/secretary for the Curtis Mathes Corp., and then relocated to New Jersey to work in the same position for Krementz & Co., before retiring to Sandwich in 1989. Following his retirement, he worked as a real estate agent with Dugan Realty. He also served as a town selectman, chairman of the Sandwich Finance Committee, chairman of the Cape Cod Commission and a founding member of the Cape Light Compact. During the Korean War, he fought on the front lines with the U.S. Army. He attained the rank of major and received the Bronze Star. He was also a member of the Army Reserve.
Eli D. Schoenfield ’56 of New York City died Feb. 5, 2008. He practiced law at Kay Collyer & Boose for more than 20 years. He was later a partner at McLaughlin & Stern in New York City.
Richard S. Sprague ’56 of Bellevue, Wash., died May 28, 2008. He practiced law for 40 years with Bogle & Gates, where he served as managing partner. He later was senior vice president at Kemper Development Co. in Bellevue. He served as president of the University of Washington Alumni Association, the Washington Athletic Club, the University of Washington Tyee Board, Greater Seattle (Seafair), the local March of Dimes chapter and Ronald McDonald House. A football standout at the University of Washington and captain of the 1952 team, he turned down an opportunity to play for the NFL’s Chicago Cardinals in order to attend HLS.
Harold K. Abe ’57 of Peabody, Mass., died June 7, 2008. After practicing law in Washington early in his career, he went to Japan and became a lecturer at Tokyo University, Graduate School of Law. He had a 30-year career there with IBM.
George G. Gregory ’57 of Capistrano Beach, Calif., died March 31, 2008. A Los Angeles attorney for more than 40 years, he practiced at Gibson, Dunn, and Crutcher and Hughes, Hubbard, and Reed. He also served as general legal counsel for H.F. Ahmanson, a holding company for the major savings and loan institution Home Savings of America, for several years.
Arnold H. Klau ’57 of Avon, Conn., and Naples, Fla., died May 10, 2008. He practiced and lectured on geriatric law in Connecticut. In Manchester, Conn., he helped establish the Manchester Interfaith Social Action Committee. The committee took advantage of a government housing program to create the first subsidized rental apartments for families in the area. He was also active in the Democratic Town Committee, served as assistant town counsel and was head of the local United Jewish Federation.
Brice M. Clagett ’58 of Washington, D.C., died April 8, 2008. He was an attorney with Covington and Burling for more than four decades, specializing in public and private international law, foreign claims, international arbitration and Middle Eastern law. In 1960 he served as a juridical counselor with the Cambodian delegation to the International Court of Justice at The Hague, and in 1975, he argued before the Supreme Court in United States v. Maine. He was a lifelong advocate of historic and land preservation and environmental protection, and he was a chairman of the Maryland Historical Trust and the Maryland Environmental Trust.
George J. Dunn ’60 of Cleveland died Feb. 17, 2008. He began his career in private practice before joining the oil company Sohio’s in-house legal department in 1968, rising to the position of general counsel and senior vice president in 1974. He played a major role in the merger between Sohio and BP America in 1987, and remained with BP until his retirement in 1998. During the 1970s, he contributed to the development of the Alaska Pipeline. He was also a sailing enthusiast and spent much of his retirement sailing Europe, the Caribbean, the Mediterranean and South America. A trustee of the Cleveland Orchestra, the Museum of Contemporary Art Cleveland, the Cleveland Institute of Music and the Cleveland Institute of Art, he was also a trustee of the Council on World Affairs and the Great Salt Lakes Science Center.
Jerome B. Gracey ’60 of Granby, Conn., and Harpswell, Maine, died April 3, 2008. He was a partner at Reid & Reige in Hartford, Conn., and played a key role in developing Connecticut’s Professional Corporation Act, which permitted professionals to incorporate and improved the method of funding retirement plans. He lived in Granby for 45 years and was a founding member of the Granby Ambulance Association, a director of the Granby Community Fund, a member of the Granby Planning and Zoning Commission, and a baseball coach in the Granby Little League and Babe Ruth Association.
Robert H. Joost ’60 of Bethesda, Md., died Feb. 19, 2008. An expert on no-fault auto insurance, he was also well-known for his struggle with bipolar disorder, which almost prevented him from taking the bar exam in Massachusetts at the start of his career. He was editor of the Law Review while at HLS and taught briefly at the New England School of Law following graduation. He then went on to work for a New York City law firm before relocating to Capitol Hill in the early 1970s to join the staff of the U.S. Senate Commerce Committee. A staunch advocate of the no-fault system of automobile insurance, he published the book “Automobile Insurance and No-Fault Law” in 1992. He drafted a number of pieces of legislation on the topic and went on to work with the D.C. Law Revision Commission. He was also a judgment officer with the Commodity Futures Trading Commission and a chairman of the board for Correction of Military Records of the Coast Guard Court. Just prior to his retirement, he continued to advocate for public policy issues, including the prevention of political restrictions on scientific inquiry, stem-cell research in particular.
Matthew S. Perlman ’60 of Potomac, Md., died Dec. 5, 2007. A longtime partner in the Arent Fox law firm, he specialized in government contract law. He worked on many projects in Washington, D.C., including the building of Verizon Center and the Ronald Reagan Building. From 1967 to 1969, he was assistant general counsel with the Department of Transportation. He served on President Ronald Reagan’s transition team for the General Services Administration, was a member of the advisory board of the publication “Federal Contracts Report” from 1970 to 1997 and was general counsel to a presidential commission on the postal service. A legal officer in the U.S. Air Force from 1960 to 1965, he later became a judge on the Armed Services Board of Contract Appeals.
Michael E. Freeman ’61 of Whitefish Bay, Wis., died July 15, 2008. He practiced with Quarles, Herriott & Clemons, now Quarles & Brady, Manpower Inc. and Michael Best & Friedrich before becoming a solo practitioner. He served on the boards of Jewish Family Services and the American Jewish Committee. He also committed time to the Milwaukee Bar Association and the Milwaukee Jewish Federation and volunteered as a reading tutor in the Milwaukee Public Schools.
Seth D. Zinman ’61 of Arlington, Va., died May 6, 2008. He was a lawyer at the Department of Labor’s Office of the Solicitor for 45 years. He joined the office in 1961, and in 1975, he was appointed associate solicitor for legislation and legal counsel. He was responsible for drafting significant federal laws designed to protect American workers, including the McNamara-O’Hara Service Contract Act, amendments to the National Labor Relations Act that broadened coverage to the nonprofit hospital care industry, and the black lung provisions of the Federal Coal Mine and Safety Act. He also served as the department’s senior career ethics officer and the principal legal adviser to the Bureau of Labor Statistics. He received the Philip Arnow Award, the Labor Department’s highest honor, and the Justice Tom C. Clark Award, given by the Washington chapter of the Federal Bar Association.
Stephen Chrystie ’62 of Santa Monica, Calif., died July 23, 2008. He pursued a long legal career in bankruptcy and entertainment in Los Angeles. He was also involved in the Anti-Defamation League.
David A. Diamond ’62 of Great Neck, N.Y., died Sept. 7, 2008. In 1964 he was practicing with the Wall Street law firm Hughes Hubbard & Reed but took time that summer to serve as a civil rights worker in Mississippi. He was part of a support unit that helped with voter registration and assisted community farmers and sharecroppers who were being cheated by their landlords. Soon afterward, he left Wall Street for an antipoverty program in Manhattan, serving as chief welfare attorney at the Mobilization for Youth Legal Services, and he later headed the Law Reform and Test Case Unit. He was a professor both at Syracuse University College of Law and later at Hofstra University Law School, where he taught procedure, trial practice and family law.
Paul S. Hoffman ’62 of Croton-on-Hudson, N.Y., died March 24, 2008. He was the acting village justice for Croton-on-Hudson and was previously a member of the village board of trustees and the Croton-Harmon Board of Education. A pioneer in the field of computers and the law, he was the author of “The Software Legal Book,” a standard reference guide that he updated annually. He was a veteran of the 82nd Airborne.
Shulamith Berle ’63 of Boston died June 21, 2007.
Jacques C. Feuillan ’63 of Washington, D.C., died Jan. 3, 2008. In his 22 years as an attorney with the Federal Trade Commission, he had many accomplishments in the international division, including negotiating competition agreements with Japan and Australia. At the Office of Policy Planning, he pioneered analysis of the FTC’s role in protecting consumer privacy, now a major part of the FTC mission. Prior to joining the FTC, Feuillan was an attorney with the Department of Health, Education and Welfare, the Lawyers’ Committee for Civil Rights, the Legal Action Support Project at the Bureau of Social Science Research and the Council for Public Interest Law.
Brian J. Brundin ’64 of St. David, Ariz., died Feb. 26, 2008. A longtime resident of Anchorage, Alaska, he began his career there as an attorney with Hughes, Thorsness and Lowell. He practiced in the commercial law division and became a partner there before relocating to Arizona and going into private practice. As an attorney and CPA, he specialized in estate planning and tax law, and served on many boards, including the World Trade Center of Alaska, and the University of Alaska Foundation, Board of Regents and Alumni Association. From 1964 to 1966, he served as a captain in the U.S. Army Finance Corps.
Mark W. Murphy ’64 of Indianapolis died Feb. 19, 2008. He practiced law in Indianapolis prior to his retirement several years ago. Active in his community, he was a member of Grace Community Church, the Christian Men’s Business Club, the Indiana Bar Association, the Columbia Club and the Riviera Club.
Michael James O’Grady LL.M. ’64 of Ottawa died May 17, 2008. For 46 years he practiced law in Ottawa with Solway, Wright, Houston, Greenberg, O’Grady & Morin and O’Grady & Associate. He was with the firm of Burke-Robertson at the time of his death. In 1998, he was elected a fellow of the American College of Trial Lawyers. He served as president of the Consumers Association of Canada and as a member of the executive committee of the International Organization of Consumers Unions.
Robert Sugarman ’64 of Pineville, Pa., died June 27, 2008. An environmentalist, attorney and activist, he was a solicitor for several municipalities, with law offices in Doylestown and Philadelphia, and represented citizens groups in many zoning and land-use legal proceedings, including opposing the Point Pleasant pumping station, which sought to transfer water from the Delaware River to cool a nuclear power plant in Montgomery County, and an expressway which would have destroyed homes and businesses. In 1978, President Carter appointed him to the International Joint Commission for U.S.-Canada border environmental protection. To establish support for citizen activists and public interest organizations, he co-founded the PennFuture Center for Grassroots Support earlier this year. He served as president of Americans for Democratic Action in Philadelphia, chairman of the Montgomery County Democratic Party and a director of many organizations, including the Public Law Center of Philadelphia, Community Legal Services and the Foundation for Architecture. He was also a legal consultant to the Water Quality Association.
Patrick Harding Lane S.J.D. ’65 of New South Wales, Australia, died Dec. 25, 2007. He was a professor at the University of Sydney for many years, specializing in constitutional law, and wrote several books, including “An Introduction to the Australian Constitution.”
James J. Unger ’67 of Washington, D.C., died April 3, 2008. He was a debate coach at Georgetown and American universities and was director of American University’s National Forensics Institute, which brought thousands of high school students to Washington to study competitive speech. A national champion debater at Boston College, he coached debaters while at HLS. In 1968, he became a debate coach at Georgetown, where his teams were ranked first in the national coaches poll five times. In a 1970s poll of leading intercollegiate coaches and debaters, he was named Outstanding Debate Coach and Outstanding Debate Judge of the decade. In 1985, he became director of forensics at American University. He retired from AU in 1996. He also served as a debate consultant to NBC, ABC, the Associated Press and United Press International, commenting on debates such as the Clinton-Dole presidential election debate.
Thomas I. Atkins ’69 of Boston died June 27, 2008. A civil rights lawyer, he worked on the challenges of school desegregation in Boston and beyond and was associate trial counsel for the plaintiffs in Morgan v. Hennigan, a Boston school desegregation case. He was the first African-American to become a city councilor and mayoral candidate in Boston, and the first to serve as a state Cabinet member in Massachusetts. At the NAACP, he served the Boston branch as executive secretary in the mid-1960s and as president beginning in 1974, and he was later its lead lawyer at the national level.
Peter W. Rodman ’69 of Washington, D.C., died Aug. 2, 2008. A lawyer, government official and foreign policy expert, he was a senior fellow at the Brookings Institution. His most recent book, “Presidential Command: Power, Leadership, and the Making of Foreign Policy from Richard Nixon to George W. Bush,” is scheduled for release in 2009. Prior to his work as a Brookings Fellow, Rodman had a career in public affairs, serving on the National Security Councils of four Republican presidents and most recently serving as assistant secretary of defense for international security affairs from 2001 to 2007 under then Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld. He was also deputy assistant to the president for national security affairs and a director of the State Department’s policy staff during the Reagan administration, as well as special assistant to former National Security Adviser and Secretary of State Henry Kissinger. He was a trustee of Freedom House and a director of the World Affairs Council of Washington, D.C.
John C. Quale ’71 of Bethesda, Md., died June 29, 2008. A longtime communications attorney and partner at Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher & Flom in Washington, D.C., he counseled broadcast, satellite and wireless companies as well as venture-capital and investment firms and wrote about communications law in publications such as the Federal Communications Law Journal. Before joining Skadden Arps in 1996, he worked for Kirkland & Ellis and Wiley Rein, where he helped to start and headed up the mass media communications group. He and his wife founded the Bladder Cancer Advocacy Network to raise awareness about the disease and to help provide funds for research and treatment.
Bradley C. Diggs ’73 of Seattle died July 25, 2008. He joined the law firm Davis Wright Tremaine in Seattle after law school, went on to chair the firm’s commercial transactions practice and was named managing partner in 1994. He served on the board of the YMCA of Greater Seattle, as president of the Legal Foundation of Washington and as a board chairman of Washington.
Thomas C. Russler ’74 of New York City died Jan. 9, 2008. He was a securities attorney at Kirkpatrick & Lockhart in New York City.
David J. Dacquisto ’79 of Davidsonville, Md., died April 26, 2008. For 18 years, he served at the National Association of Home Builders research center as its vice president of technology. Most recently, he was a co-owner of Newport Partners.
Rodrick J. Reid ’90 of Jersey City, N.J., died July 18, 2008. He spent his career in law and business, first with Kirkland & Ellis and later with Eli Lilly Pharmaceuticals. He also was vice president of Manor Care. In 2002 he founded his own company, Metropolitan Development Group, a Chicago-based home building organization specializing in luxury homes, mixed-use condominiums and commercial buildings. Until the time of his death, he was serving as managing director and co-founder of the Renovo Development Group of Philadelphia, a housing development corporation specializing in constructing affordable housing. He volunteered in several civic endeavors, including Big Brothers and mentoring programs for youth in Indianapolis and Chicago.
Melissa C. “Missy” Brooks Batten ’97 of Renton, Wash., died July 29, 2008. She was a developer in Microsoft’s games division in Seattle. Prior to moving to Washington, she was a public defender at the Mecklenburg County Public Defender’s Office in North Carolina, where she handled hundreds of cases and worked in the domestic violence court. On July 21, Batten filed an emergency temporary protection order against her husband. Eight days later, he killed her before killing himself. Donations in Batten’s memory can be made to the Eastside Domestic Violence Program in the Seattle area: www.edvp.com.
Melissa C. “Missy” Brooks Batten ’97 of Renton, Wash., died July 29, 2008. She was a developer in Microsoft’s games division in Seattle. Prior to moving to Washington, she was a public defender at the Mecklenburg County Public Defender’s Office in North Carolina, where she handled hundreds of cases and worked in the domestic violence court. On July 21, Batten filed an emergency temporary protection order against her husband. Eight days later, he killed her before killing himself. Donations in Batten’s memory can be made to the Eastside Domestic Violence Program in the Seattle area: www.edvp.com.
Louise Sandberg ’08 of Miami Beach died July 9, 2008. A third-year student at Harvard Law School, she was a graduate of Emory University, and Palmetto High School, where she was a champion debater. She recently accepted a position with Davis Polk & Wardwell in New York City. She lived in Miami, Boston, Atlanta, California, London, Brazil, Switzerland and Australia. Since Sandberg’s death from breast cancer in the summer of 2008, Harvard Law School has announced the creation of the Louise M. Sandberg Memorial Fund. For information about donating, contact Dean of Students Ellen Cosgrove: firstname.lastname@example.org.