A. Evans Kephart ’30 of Spearfish, S.D., died Jan. 6, 2008. A four-term Pennsylvania state senator, he helped secure the water rights for the city of Philadelphia. He also practiced law at Montgomery McCracken and later formed his own partnership with Minnesota Gov. Harold Stassen. A year and a half out of law school, as assistant city solicitor for Philadelphia, he filed a brief before the Pennsylvania Supreme Court appealing the city’s then limited right to take water from the neighboring Schuylkill River for municipal purposes. Kephart won the appeal, and the city’s legal water rights became 100 percent of the minimum flow of the river. Kephart was elected to the Senate in the 1930s and worked on a variety of legislation, including approving the creation of the Pennsylvania Turnpike. In 1968, he was appointed the first state court administrator for the commonwealth, establishing standards for the judiciary.
John G. Tucker ’30 of Beaumont, Texas, died Jan. 14, 2008, at the age of 100. He was a principal of the Beaumont firm Orgain, Bell and Tucker and argued cases before all levels of the Texas state and federal court systems, including the Texas Supreme Court and the U.S. Supreme Court. He was a fellow of the International Academy of Trial Lawyers and the American College of Trial Lawyers. He received a number of awards, including the Jefferson County Bar Association Blackstone Award in 1987. In 2007, the Beaumont Foundation of America named him a “Southeast Texas Legend” and established a $100,000 scholarship in his name.
Gabriel N. Alexander ’30-’31 of Sarasota, Fla., died Sept. 14, 2007. Formerly of Huntington Woods, Mich., he was a solo practitioner specializing in labor arbitration and was an adjunct professor at Wayne University Law School. He was chairman of the labor relations law section of the State Bar of Michigan and a commodore of the Detroit River Yachting Association.
A. Clinton Kellogg ’31 of Walpole, Mass., died Aug. 11, 2006. A solo practitioner specializing in real estate and probate law, he was counsel for the town of Sharon for 20 years and assistant clerk of the courts for Norfolk County for 35 years. He also served as director and chairman of Sharon Co-op Bank for nearly 40 years.
Jacob D. Hyman ’34 of Edgewater, Fla., died April 8, 2007. A labor arbitrator and longtime faculty member of the University at Buffalo Law School, he joined the law faculty in 1946 and served as dean from 1953 to 1964. He first retired in 1981 but continued teaching part time until his second retirement, in 2000, at the age of 90. He began his legal career at Blumberg and Parker and, in 1939, joined the legal staff of the Wage and Hour Division of the U.S. Department of Labor. Three years later, he worked for John Kenneth Galbraith in the Office of Price Administration, and he eventually became associate general counsel in charge of litigation in the special federal court that reviewed price-control orders.
Sydney A. Luria ’34 of New York City died Dec. 31, 2007. He was a senior member of Carb, Luria, Cook & Kufeld and served as counsel to Cushman and Wakefield and to L. Luria and Sons. A member of the board of governors of the Real Estate Board of New York from 1974 to 1985, he also served the New York board as vice president and counsel and was named honorary lifetime legal counsel in 2006. He was a member of the Human Rights Commission of the city of New Rochelle and president of the Guidance Center. He was chairman of the Givat Haviva Educational Foundation and PEF Israel Endowment Funds. During WWII, he served in the U.S. Army Air Forces as a combat intelligence officer.
John F. Bacon ’34-’35 of Hopewell Township, N.J., died Dec. 21, 2007. A longtime Bridgeton attorney, he was the oldest practicing attorney in Cumberland County when he retired at the age of 90. He focused his practice on wills, trusts and estates, and real estate. He was also a solicitor for the Bridgeton Board of Education and Cumberland National Bank/United Jersey Bank in Bridgeton and a director of the Bethlehem Corp. An Eagle Scout, he served as an advisory board member of the Southern New Jersey Boy Scout Council and was a sponsor of the annual Boy Scout Boy Power Dinner. During WWII, he served in the Intelligence Division of the U.S. Armed Forces.
James H. Booser ’35 of Middletown, Pa., died Nov. 13, 2007. He was of counsel to McNees Wallace & Nurick in Harrisburg and a Middletown borough solicitor for 12 years. In 1974, he retired from the law firm but maintained a practice in municipal and estate law. A lifelong member of the First Church of God, he served as parliamentarian and general counsel to the General Conference of the Church of God and was on the administrative council for more than 50 years. He was also involved in many community and church projects, including the Interfaith Apartments and their adult day care center and thrift shop. Swarthmore College recently presented him with the Arabella Carter Community Service Award.
Arnold M. Goldstein ’35 of Scarsdale, N.Y., died Dec. 15, 2007. For more than 60 years, he practiced law at Conrad and Smith in New York City, where he specialized in real estate and estates law.
Samuel Brodsky ’36 of New York City died Jan. 8, 2008. A tax and corporate lawyer, he served as chairman of the tax section of the New York State Bar Association. He was also a lecturer on taxation at New York University School of Law. He began his career as clerk to Federal Circuit Court Judge Julian Mack and then as assistant U.S. attorney for the Southern District of New York. During WWII, he was a lieutenant in the U.S. Navy.
Henry Stern ’36 of Hartsdale, N.Y., died Jan. 29, 2008. He was the founder and president of Henry Stern & Co., an export management company, in Elmsford. A member of the National Panel of Arbitrators, he also was a charter member of Hartsdale Rotary and was involved with Big Brothers of Westchester.
Eugene C. Gerhart ’37 of Binghamton, N.Y., died Oct. 27, 2007. A longtime Binghamton attorney, he was a solo practitioner and a partner with two other attorneys before becoming a founding partner of Coughlin & Gerhart. From 1949 to 1983, he was general counsel of Columbia Mutual Life Insurance Co., where he also served as acting president and chairman of the board. He lectured in business law at the Triple Cities and Harpur Colleges, forerunners of the State University of New York Binghamton. A biographer of the late U.S. Supreme Court Justice Robert H. Jackson, he first met Jackson at a 1946 ABA convention, where Jackson was a keynote speaker and the then 34-year-old Gerhart was presenting a prize-winning essay. Through an ensuing correspondence, Gerhart collaborated with Jackson and wrote a biography of the justice and a study of his legal opinions. An author of eight books, Gerhart was an editor of the New York State Bar Association Journal and was on the board of editors for the ABA Journal. In 1934, he was a secretary to Judge Manley O. Hudson at the League of Nations in Geneva. During WWII, he was a lieutenant in the U.S. Navy in the Judge Advocate General’s Corps.
Henry T. Holsapple ’37 of Winston-Salem, N.C., died Jan. 25, 2008. He was vice president of the Trust Department at Wachovia Bank in Winston-Salem. He practiced law in New York City and served as a trust officer at First National City Bank before moving to North Carolina. Pursuing his longtime interest in genealogy, he published “A Genealogy of the Holsapple Family of Columbia County, New York, 1725-1994.” During WWII, he was commanding officer of USS LST-560 in the South Pacific, where he participated in landing operations in the Philippines and Brunei Bay, Borneo. He also served in the U.S. Naval Reserve, attaining the rank of commander.
William R. Lessig Jr. ’37 of Wyomissing, Pa., died Dec. 19, 2007. He was a senior partner at Stevens & Lee in Reading, Pa., specializing in probate and estate law. A director of the Berks County Association for the Blind, he worked to promote the interests of the blind and visually impaired in Berks County. He was also a Mason and past master of Lodge 62.
Arthur Richenthal ’37 of New York City died Oct. 11, 2007. A solo practitioner specializing in litigation, he represented New York City’s largest organization of landlords as counsel to the Rent Stabilization Association during the 1970s and ’80s. In 1975, he was representing the Flushing National Bank in Queens when the state legislature enacted a moratorium on the payment of more than $1 billion in short-term city bonds. He sued to prevent the moratorium, and in a 5-1 decision in 1976, the Court of Appeals ruled that the moratorium violated provisions of the state constitution that affirm that municipal securities are backed by pledges of a city’s full faith and credit.
William S. Zeman ’37-’38 of West Hartford, Conn., died Dec. 27, 2007. He practiced labor law and represented a wide range of unions in both the public and private sectors until his retirement in 2001. From 1941 to 1945, he worked for the United Electrical Workers Union as general counsel and manager of Amalgamated Local 281. He received the Whitney North Seymour Arbitration Medal from the American Arbitration Association in 1984 and the Medal of Excellence from the University of Connecticut School of Law in 1988. He was a member of the Connecticut State Guard and served on the mayor of Hartford’s War Bond Committee.
Barring Coughlin ’38 of Cleveland died Jan. 2, 2008. An attorney with Thompson Hine, he joined the firm in 1939 as its 22nd lawyer. He practiced law in Cleveland, specializing in tax and acquisition matters, and was editor of the Cleveland Bar Journal. He represented the late Cyrus Eaton, a financier and philanthropist, and served on the board of the Cyrus Eaton Foundation until this year. During WWII, he was an intelligence officer in the U.S. Coast Guard aboard the USS Campbell and made 13 trips to North Africa.
Lucius Nims ’38-’39 of Pensacola, Fla., died Sept. 6, 2007. Formerly of Greenfield, Mass., he served as executive vice president of Lunt Silversmiths and president of Lamson & Goodnow. He joined the Millers Falls Co. as treasurer in 1945. When the company merged with Ingersoll Rand in 1971, he headed two divisions. After retiring from Lunt in 1981, he remained as a director until 2002. He was on the Greenfield School Committee and was a director of the Franklin Savings Institution. He served in the U.S. Navy during WWII.
Randolph M. Jackson LL.M. ’39 of Granbury, Texas, died Jan. 9, 2008. A legal assistance officer to the Pentagon, he also served 35 years with the Federal Business Association. He was active in the Heritage League in Hillsboro, Texas.
Eugene J. Beneduce ’40 of Naples, Fla., died March 28, 2007.
William A. Murray ’40 of Milford, Mass., died June 12, 2006. A Milford attorney, he founded his firm in 1942 and continued to practice with his sons until 2002, dealing primarily with auto tort jury cases. He was a part-time title examiner for two Milford banks and general counsel for what became Bonanza Bus Lines and Milford Shoe Co. He was also a member of the Milford Conservation Commission and chairman of the Milford Zoning Board of Appeals. During WWII, he was a member of the Massachusetts State Guard.
Bernard A. Helfat ’41 of Douglaston, N.Y., died Oct. 20, 2007. An attorney for more than 60 years, he focused his practice on design and copyright in the textile and apparel field. He represented the plaintiff in the landmark case Peter Pan Fabrics v. Martin Weiner, Inc., which had a great impact on design protection in the textile industry. He was president of the Bayside Democratic Club, and in 1960, he ran for Congress. He also held executive positions at Douglas Manor Association and Temple Emanuel of Great Neck. During WWII, he served on the War Department General Staff in Washington, D.C., and attained the rank of captain. Recalled during the Korean War, he served in the National Security Agency and received the Bronze Star.
John S. Pullen ’41 of Ellsworth, Maine, died May 21, 2006. He was an attorney in Maine until 1980. He served in the U.S. Army from 1942 to 1946 and again in 1951.
Richard C. Reed ’41 of Chester, Conn., died Jan. 27, 2008. Formerly of Brockton, Mass., he specialized in probate law and was a partner at Keith, Reed, Wheatley & Frenette in Brockton. He was board chairman of Brockton Hospital and the Old Colony Y and a board member of the former People’s Savings Bank. During WWII, he served in the U.S. Coast Guard.
Robert J. Banks Jr. ’42 of Danville, Ill., died Dec. 20, 2007. A longtime attorney at Sebat, Swanson, Banks, Garman & Townsley, he was named a partner in 1949. He was president of the Vermilion County Bar Association and was active in statewide committees of the Illinois Bar Association. He was secretary of the Danville City Zoning Committee and a clerk and auditor of Blount Township for eight years. As president of the Danville Jaycees, he helped organize the building of the first public swimming area on Lake Vermilion. During WWII, he served with the U.S. Army’s Corps of Engineers.
Robert L. Black Jr. ’42 of Cincinnati died Feb. 7, 2008. A judge of the Ohio First District Court of Appeals, he served on the court from 1977 to 1989. Previously, he was a judge of the Hamilton County Court of Common Pleas. From 1967 to 1972, he was chairman of the Cincinnati Human Relations Commission.
David J. Conroy ’42 of Asheville, N.C., died Oct. 26, 2007. He was secretary and general counsel for the International Salt Co. of Clarks Summit, Pa. When the company merged with American Enka of Asheville, Conroy became corporate secretary. He retired in 1983. Active in the community, he was director of Asheville’s chamber of commerce, symphony, art museum and country day school. He was also campaign director, and later board chairman, of the United Way. During WWII, he served in the U.S. Naval Air Corps as a pilot in the Aleutian Islands and later was transferred to a squadron that flew torpedo bombers from escort carriers. He was flying over Iwo Jima on Feb. 23, 1945, when he witnessed the U.S. flag being planted on Mount Suribachi. Conroy broke radio silence, notifying the photographer who then took the famous picture of the second flagraising. He was awarded the Distinguished Flying Cross and three Air Medals.
David Flower Jr. ’42 of Wayland, Mass., died Feb. 28, 2008. He was director of tax affairs for the Raytheon Corp. for 40 years. After retiring in 1986, he remained as a consultant until 1991. He was also a tax instructor at Northeastern University for many years and sponsored Bentley College’s tax program. A member of the Research Institute of America, he was chairman of the Machinery and Allied Products Institute, the National Association of Manufacturers and the Associated Industries of Massachusetts.
Irving J. Helman ’42 of Chestnut Hill, Mass., and Palm Beach, Fla., died Dec. 9, 2007. For 60 years, he practiced corporate and business law at Nutter McClennen & Fish in Boston. He began his legal career in the general counsel’s office of the War Production Board in Washington, D.C. In 1946 he was named general counsel of the Office of Price Administration. The following year he was appointed the law clerk to Justice Felix Frankfurter of the U.S. Supreme Court. He served on the boards of many corporations and was chairman of the Boston Bar Association’s Corporate Law Committee and president of the Newton Council of Parent-Teacher Associations. During WWII, he served in the U.S. Army in the European theater and was wounded in the Battle of the Bulge. He was awarded the Purple Heart.
Chester E. Finn ’43 of Hilton Head, S.C., died Oct. 17, 2007. Formerly of Dayton, Ohio, he was a senior partner of Estabrook Finn & McKee and Porter Wright Morris & Arthur. During WWII, he served in the U.S. Navy in the South Pacific and attained the rank of lieutenant commander.
William S. Green ’43 of Manchester, N.H., died Oct. 22, 2007. He was a lawyer at Sheehan, Phinney, Bass & Green in Manchester. Early in his career, he was assistant attorney general of New Hampshire and was the state’s first deputy attorney general when the position was created in 1950. He served on the New Hampshire Legislative Council as a member of several commissions and was a trustee of Elliott Hospital in Manchester for 35 years. In 1960, he was named Citizen of the Year by the Manchester Chamber of Commerce. During WWII, he served in the U.S. Marine Corps in the Pacific theater. He participated in the invasion of the Marshall Islands and served at the Palmyra Island Naval Air Station and attained the rank of major.
Charles B. King ’43 of Arlington, Mass., died Feb. 7, 2008. An attorney for the law office King & Gilpatric in Boston, he had a general civil practice focused on estate planning, probate and corporate taxation law. During WWII, he served in the U.S. Army.
Max B. Lewis ’43 of Salt Lake City died April 10, 2006. For 58 years, he specialized in taxation and estate and financial planning, and he was a speaker and author. A benefactor of the University of Utah, he created the Max B. and Virginia E. Lewis and Karen L. Freed Endowed Loan Fund in the School of Medicine. He also served as chairman of the university’s National Advisory Council and was selected as a distinguished alumnus. During WWII, he served in the U.S. Army Air Forces as a claims judge advocate and, later, as a judge advocate general. He attained the rank of lieutenant colonel.
Edward J. Samp Jr. ’43 of Cambridge, Mass., died Nov. 23, 2007. He practiced law at Haussermann, Davison and Shattuck. He later established his own firm, where he practiced estate and property law until his retirement in 1994. In 1959, he was appointed a Republican member of the Cambridge Election Commission, a position he held for more than 35 years, serving as chairman from 1980 until his retirement. He was a longtime volunteer for the Cambridge Baseball League, and in 1991, the city named a baseball field in his honor. He was a lieutenant commander in the U.S. Navy during WWII. A gunnery officer aboard the USS Laffey when the destroyer came under German artillery fire at Normandy, he helped dislodge a live shell that had embedded in the ship. During the battle of Okinawa, he was severely injured when his ship was attacked by a barrage of kamikaze planes. He was awarded the Purple Heart.
Richard B. Stoner ’44 of Columbus, Ind., died Jan. 19, 2008. He worked for Cummins Engine Co. for 50 years, spending his last 20 as vice chairman of the board of directors and then vice chairman emeritus. He also served as director and president of Cummins Engine Foundation and Irwin-Sweeney-Miller Foundation. He was head of the Indiana State Policy Commission on Post High School Education. He also served as trustee of Indiana University for 20 years and as president of the board. From 1966 to 1988, he was Democratic National Committeeman for Indiana, and he attended every Democratic National Convention from 1956 through 1988 as a delegate. A founding member, elder and trustee of North Christian Church in Columbus, he was also vice president for National Council of Churches U.S.A. During WWII, he was a captain in the U.S. Army.
Martin Polin ’45 of San Luis Obispo, Calif., died Aug. 17, 2007.
James L. Oakes ’47 of Brattleboro, Vt., died Oct. 13, 2007. He was a judge of the 2nd U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals. In 1970, he was appointed to the U.S. District Court by President Nixon, and a year later, he was elevated to the 2nd Circuit Court of Appeals. He served as chief judge from 1989 to 1992 and retired in 2007. Before his judgeships, he spent two decades practicing law and working in the state government in Vermont. He was a state senator for Windham County from 1961 to 1965 and a state attorney general from 1967 to 1969. He was an adjunct law professor at Duke University and Iowa University. He received many awards, including the Learned Hand Award for Excellence in Jurisprudence and the Louis Dembitz Brandeis Medal for Distinguished Legal Service. In 1983, he was recognized for his leadership by the Environmental Law Institute.
Saul A. Silverman ’47 of Haverhill, Mass., died Dec. 10, 2007. A psychologist and practicing therapist for more than 40 years, he founded Silverman & Associates in Marriage and Family Counseling in 1961. He had offices in New Hampshire, Massachusetts and Rhode Island. From 1947 to 1957, he was an attorney in Boston, Lawrence and Haverhill.
Kenneth Wang LL.M. ’47 of Cove Neck, N.Y., died Dec. 14, 2007. He was a senior partner at Wang and Wang in Taipei, Taiwan, and a professor at St. John’s University School of Law in New York City. He joined the St. John’s faculty in 1952, retired in 1984 and then formed his law firm in Taiwan. In 1964, he participated in President Lyndon Johnson’s White House Conference on International Law and International Cooperation. He taught for a year at his alma mater, Soochow University Law School, then known as Dongwu Law, and was a law practitioner in Shanghai until 1945, when he was named a judge of the Shanghai Court of Appeals. He also was president of Aurora College for Women, the first college for women in China. In 2003, Soochow University honored him by naming its new law school the Kenneth Wang School of Law.
Michael J. DeLeo ’47-’48 of Everett, Mass., died Dec. 10, 2007. The founder and president of M.J. DeLeo Insurance Agency in Everett, he also served as vice president of the board of management of Whidden Memorial Hospital and as president and director of the Everett Chamber of Commerce. During WWII, he served in the 11th Armored Infantry Division in the European theater. He received the Purple Heart, three Campaign Stars and the Combat Infantryman’s Badge.
Charles N. Berry Jr. ’48 of Oklahoma City died Oct. 26, 2007. A longtime Oklahoma City attorney, he began practicing law in the city in 1948, and in 1985, he established Berry and Spooner, where he worked until the spring of 2007. He was president of the Fairlawn Cemetery Association. During WWII, he served in the U.S. Navy and was assigned to the White House Map Room. He later served aboard the USS Iowa in the Atlantic and the Pacific.
Hans G. Hachmann ’48 of Forest Hills, N.Y., died Oct. 22, 2007. A New York City attorney for many years, he engaged in a general practice with some emphasis on international and estate matters. He was also president of the Max Kade Foundation in New York City, which promotes the study of German and German-American history.
John W. Johnston ’48 of Charlotte, N.C., died Dec. 30, 2007. A senior partner at what is now Helms Mulliss & Wicker in Charlotte, he worked for the firm for 34 years. He was involved in securities and merger work for a number of Charlotte banks and businesses. He was co-chairman of the Myers Park Baptist Church education committee and was a board member of the Mint Museum of Art. During WWII, he served in the U.S. Army Air Forces and spent three years in India as an aircraft maintenance officer. He retired with the rank of major.
Donald S. MacLeod ’48 of East Amherst, N.Y., died Aug. 10, 2006. A certified public accountant, he practiced law in Chicago and held senior executive positions at Rockwell International in Pittsburgh for many years. In 1980, he returned to western New York and was president and CEO of Upson Co. in Lockport. He helped take the paper mill out of Chapter 11 bankruptcy and negotiated its purchase by Domtar Industries in 1984. He later served as a management consultant, with Domtar as his principal client. During WWII, he served in the U.S. Navy as a captain of a sub-chaser in the Pacific.
Murdaugh S. Madden ’48 of Washington, D.C., died Jan. 13, 2008. Senior counsel of the Humane Society of the United States, he served as the society’s general counsel from 1971 to 1990. He helped frame the original constitution of the World Society for the Protection of Animals and played a role in the Humane Society’s investigation into the bleaching of birds on the film set of “Jonathan Livingston Seagull.” Prior to joining the Humane Society, he spent two decades in private practice and handled nearly 100 cases involving charges of disloyalty or removal from government service for alleged communist sympathies. He was an officer of many legal and animal protection associations. He served with the U.S. Army Air Forces in Europe during WWII.
James M. Montgomery ’48 of Amityville, N.Y., died Nov. 22, 2007. A village justice of Amityville, he also served as Amityville village prosecutor from 1981 to 1985. Following his graduation from HLS, he worked as a criminal defense attorney.
Edward Olson Jr. ’48 of Berlin, Conn., died Oct. 23, 2007. He was a solo practitioner with a general practice in Berlin. He served in the 8th Air Force in England.
Wilmot T. “Bud” Pope ’48 of Brookline and Manchester-by-the-Sea, Mass., died Jan. 22, 2008. For 43 years, he practiced at Choate Hall & Stewart, retiring as a managing partner. He led the firm’s bank merger practice, representing New England Merchants National Bank and Bank of New England. He represented Bank of New England in the first interstate bank merger in the United States, shepherding the transaction through the Federal Reserve Board and eventually the U.S. Supreme Court. He also wrote the Massachusetts Bank Holding Company Act. During WWII, he served as a naval officer in the Pacific.
William K. Stevens ’48 of Lakeside, Mich., and Naples, Fla., died Oct. 28, 2007. Formerly of Chicago, he was an estate specialist and worked for many years as vice president of the trust department at First National Bank of Chicago. Author of “Illinois Estate Administration,” in 1975, he joined the Chicago office of McDermott Will & Emery, where he worked for 10 years before becoming a partner at Myers, Krause & Stevens in Naples, Fla. He was the brother of U.S. Supreme Court Justice John Paul Stevens. During WWII, he was a Navy pilot.
E. Leroy “Roy” Tolles ’48 of San Marino and Montecito, Calif., died Jan. 28, 2008. He was a co-founder of Munger, Tolles & Olson in Los Angeles and specialized in tax law and mining law. From its founding in 1962, the firm has grown to approximately 200 lawyers. He was also an investor and partner at Wheeler, Munger & Co., an investment firm. During WWII, he served as a pilot in the U.S. Marines in the South Pacific.
Maxwell E. Greenberg ’49 of Los Angeles died Oct. 16, 2007. He was a general practitioner in Southern California, where he headed a small law firm with a business and litigation practice for almost 30 years. He later was a senior partner at a Century City firm. He taught law as an adjunct professor at the UCLA School of Law, and in 1954, he founded the California Bar Review Course, which he taught for 20 years. He was vice president of the Jewish Federation Council of Greater Los Angeles and the Los Angeles Police Commission, and from 1978 to 1982, he served as national chairman of the Anti-Defamation League of B’nai B’rith. In 1969, he participated on “The Advocates,” a debate show on public television. He served in the U.S. Army.
Sherman V. Lohn LL.M. ’49 of Missoula, Mont., died Dec. 10, 2007. For more than 50 years, he practiced law in Missoula, joining what later became Garlington, Lohn & Robinson in 1949. He was state delegate to the ABA House of Delegates and a director of the American Judicature Society. For the 9th Circuit, he was a lawyer representative for the Judicial Conference, a member of the senior advisory board for the Court of Appeals and a director of the historical society. Longtime counsel for the University of Montana Foundation, he also helped teach a third-year course at the university’s law school for many years. He served in the U.S. Army during WWII.
Richard C. Sorlien ’49 of Villanova, Pa., died Jan. 7, 2008. An attorney and amateur tennis champion, he specialized in tax and commercial law at Pepper, Hamilton and Scheetz in Philadelphia, and he was president of the Philadelphia and Suburban Lawn Tennis Association and the Middle States Lawn Tennis Association and served on the U.S. Tennis Association’s committee of management. He was a partner at Pepper Hamilton for 33 years and of counsel for six years. A tennis player since the age of 7, he debuted in 1948 at the Newport Casino Invitational, competed in most major grass-court events for the next 20 years and was a three-time finalist in the Wimbledon Veterans’ Doubles in the 45-and-older category. He won 10 U.S. titles in senior divisions and continued to compete until he was 82. The Sorlien Cup, awarded to the winner of an annual open-age competition between the International Lawn Tennis Clubs of Canada and the U.S., was named in his honor. During WWII, he served in the U.S. Army Air Forces.
Richard F. Staples ’49 of Providence, R.I., died Jan. 25, 2008. He practiced law at Tillinghast, Collins & Graham and, later, Hinckley, Allen & Snyder, both in Providence. He served on the state Board of Education and on the state Board of Regents. A trustee of Citizens Savings Bank, he was also a board member of Citizens Financial Group, president of the Rhode Island Historical Society and a member of the Commission on Judicial Tenure and Ethics. During WWII, he served as a lieutenant in the U.S. Army, retiring with the rank of captain.
Charles H. Tobias Jr. ’49 of Cincinnati died Oct. 18, 2007. He was a mediator for the U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals and was associated with Clark & Eyrich in Cincinnati. He specialized in general commercial law and was a partner at Steer, Strauss, White & Tobias, where he worked for more than 40 years. From 1974 to 1977, he was vice mayor of the city of Wyoming, Ohio. He was on the board of governors of Hebrew Union College-Jewish Institute of Religion and president of the Metropolitan Area Religious Coalition of Cincinnati. During WWII, he was a lieutenant in the U.S. Naval Reserve in the Pacific. He was the brother of Paul Tobias ’58.
Robert G. Barclay ’50 of Brick, N.J., died on Nov. 22, 2007. He was a vice president of the trust department at Chase Manhattan Bank. During WWII, he served in the 94th Infantry Division Association and earned two Bronze Stars.
Donald E. Brown LL.M. ’50 of Grosse Pointe Woods, Mich., died Feb. 13, 2007.
James C. Gibbens ’50 of Oklahoma City died Dec. 19, 2007. He was a senior partner at Crowe & Dunlevy, where he worked for more than 50 years. He began his law practice in Tulsa before joining Crowe & Dunlevy. He served in the U.S. Army in Germany and Okinawa, Japan.
John P. Forte ’51 of Boxborough, Mass., died Feb. 9, 2008. Formerly of Bedford, he was a Massachusetts judge for 26 years. In 1968, he was appointed a justice of the Concord District Court, and from 1977 to 1994, he served on the Superior Court. Earlier in his career, he was assistant district attorney for Middlesex County. He also was an adjunct professor at New England School of Law. He held several town offices in Bedford, including town moderator, and for more than 50 years, he served as the town’s Santa Claus. He was a pilot in the U.S. Navy for four years during WWII and for two years during the Korean War.
Walter S. “Sam” Furlow Jr. ’51 of Washington, D.C., died Jan. 14, 2008. He was a Washington lawyer and professor at Catholic University of America Columbus School of Law. In 1955, he joined Lambert, Hart and Northrop, where he practiced general law before specializing in estate planning and management. Before law school, he worked for the State Department’s Diplomatic Courier Service, traveling throughout the Americas and the Middle East. He later served as assistant general counsel in the Navy Department. In 1975, he began teaching at Columbus School of Law and taught a full courseload for more than a decade while maintaining a private practice in estate law.
Arthur Lowy ’51 of Alexandria, Va., died Jan. 1, 2008. Formerly of Great Falls, he lived and worked in the Washington, D.C., area for nearly 50 years. A trial attorney, he represented several of the U.S. hostages held in Iran in the late 1970s and thousands of the victims of the Union Carbide poison-gas leak in India in the 1980s. He opened his own trial practice in 1973 and retired in 2005. In 1968, he began working for the General Accounting Office, and he later worked for New Jersey Sen. Harrison Williams on the Subcommittee on Labor. From the early 1950s until 1968, he worked for the CIA, including service during the Korean War.
Lawrence A. Sullivan ’51 of Sherman Oaks, Calif., died Oct. 7, 2007. An authority on antitrust law, he taught at the University of California Berkeley and Southwestern Law School. Appointed by President Carter to the National Commission for the Review of Antitrust Laws and Procedures, he also served as a consultant on antitrust issues to the U.S. Department of Justice and the U.S. Department of Energy, the Senate and House subcommittees on antitrust, the Federal Trade Commission, the California Attorney General’s Office, and the governments of Australia and Brazil. He began his teaching career at the University of California before joining Foley, Hoag & Eliot in Boston. Returning to Berkeley in 1967, he was eventually acting dean of the law school, director of the Earl Warren Legal Institute and the first Earl Warren Professor of Public Law. He wrote several books and dozens of articles on antitrust, and in May 2007, he won, with his co-author, Warren Grimes, the Fifth Annual Jerry S. Cohen Memorial Fund Writing Award for the book “The Law of Antitrust: An Integrated Handbook.”
Robert D. Noble ’51-’53 of Quincy, Mass., died Dec. 23, 2007. For more than 45 years, he was a tax consultant. A musician, he played the trumpet for several organizations, including the Quincy Symphony and the Roma Band.
Philip C. Elliott ’52 of Petoskey, Mich., died Oct. 31, 2007. For 25 years, he was a judge of the Genesee County Circuit Court. He was elected in 1966, after serving two years as a probate judge. He retired in 1991 and then, for 21 months, worked as deputy chief assistant prosecutor. He also served on the Michigan Criminal Jury Instructions Committee for many years. Early in his career, he practiced law in Flint. He served in the U.S. Navy and Army.
Ross A. Langill ’52 of Waukesha, Wis., and Venice, Fla., died Jan. 29, 2008. He specialized in corporate and estate law as a solo practitioner in Waukesha and served as chairman of the Supreme Court of Wisconsin’s Board of Attorneys Professional Responsibility, District 6. He was also a president of the Waukesha County Bar Association, board president of the Waukesha Symphony and one of the original incorporators of the city of Brookfield. During WWII, he served in the U.S. Army in India.
Richard S. Lombard ’52 of Tucson, Ariz., died Oct. 18, 2007. He was general counsel and vice president of Exxon Corp. An associate at Haight, Gardner, Poor and Havens from 1952 to 1955, he began working as an attorney for Exxon’s predecessor, the Standard Oil Company of New Jersey, in 1955. He spent 10 years in the Venezuelan subsidiary’s law department and eight years in Exxon divisions in New York and Texas before becoming general counsel in 1973. He coordinated Exxon’s legal response to the Middle East oil crisis in the ’70s and the Exxon Valdez oil spill in Alaska. From 1993 to 1996, he was of counsel to Baker and Botts in Dallas, and later he served as an arbitrator in domestic and international business disputes. He wrote a book, “American Venezuelan Private International Law: A Bilateral Study, ” published in 1965. Lombard served in the U.S. Army Air Corps.
Malcolm McLane ’52 of Hanover, N.H., died Feb. 2, 2008. A trusts and estates attorney for 50 years, he was president of the Concord, N.H., law firm Orr and Reno from 1981 to 1984. He served on the Concord City Council for 20 years and was mayor of the city from 1970 to 1976. In 1972, he ran for governor. An avid skier and an inductee into the Ski Hall of Fame, he participated as an international alpine ski official at the 1960 Olympics and numerous World Cup competitions. He co-founded Wildcat Mountain Ski Area, later serving as its president. He was on the boards of Wildcat, the Appalachian Mountain Club, the Society for the Protection of New Hampshire Forests and NARAL/Pro-Choice New Hampshire. During World War II, he served in the U.S. Army Air Forces, flying 73 missions before he was shot down and taken prisoner during the Battle of the Bulge.
Harold Richter ’52 of Munster, Ind., died June 15, 2007. He focused his practice at Richter & Dennis in Chicago on family law and real property law.
Herbert B. Ruskin ’52 of White Plains, N.Y., died Nov. 17, 2007. A specialist in maritime law, he practiced law in Detroit and New York City before retiring in 2002.
Evan G. Galbraith ’53 of New York City died Jan. 21, 2008. An investment banker who headed American financial institutions in Paris and London, he served under President Reagan as ambassador to France from 1981 to 1985 and, in 2001, as Secretary of Defense Rumsfeld’s representative in Europe and defense adviser to the U.S. mission to NATO. He wrote two books, including “Ambassador to Paris: The Reagan Years,” which had an introduction by his longtime friend William F. Buckley Jr., founder of the political magazine National Review. Galbraith served as chairman of National Review’s board of directors and chairman of the board of the U.S. subsidiary of LVMH Moet Hennessy–Louis Vuitton, a luxury goods conglomerate. He was also a director of Morgan Stanley International. He served in the U.S. Navy from 1953 to 1957, working with the CIA in Germany.
Eugene G. Gallant ’53 of Providence, R.I., and West Palm Beach, Fla., died Jan. 21, 2008. A Rhode Island Superior Court judge for almost 20 years, he began his career as clerk and acting judge of the District Court in Pawtucket. He also maintained a private law practice during that time. During his tenure on the Superior Court, he presided over a constitutional challenge to the 1982 House reapportionment plan and over a gamut of criminal cases, including the trial of the New England mob boss Raymond Patriarca. In 1966, he was a candidate for the Democratic nomination for Congress. He was the first chairman of the Neighborhood Legal Services Committee and served on the board of McAuley House, which helps the homeless, in Providence. He joined the U.S. Army Air Forces as an aviation cadet in WWII. He later was an officer in the Rhode Island Air National Guard, retiring in 1980 with the rank of major general.
Richard V. Kropp ’53 of Asheville, N.C., died Nov. 29, 2007. Formerly of Aurora, Ill., he was vice president and trust officer of the Aurora National Bank. He previously held those positions at the Old Second National Bank of Aurora. Before moving to Illinois in 1969, he practiced law in Columbus, Ohio, and was a trust officer at the Ohio National Bank. He was president of the Greenbrier Military School Alumni Association and was a life member and secretary emeritus of the Hendersonville (N.C.) Shrine Club.
Daniel O. Mahoney ’53 of Mattapoisett, Mass., died Nov. 9, 2007. He was a senior litigation partner at Palmer & Dodge in Boston. A member of the Boston trial bar, he was a fellow of the American College of Trial Lawyers and served as president of the Massachusetts Bar Association. In the late 1970s, he was a member of the Ward Commission, which investigated corruption in the awarding of state and county building contracts in Massachusetts and brought about reforms, including the first-in-the-nation state inspector general’s office. He was a member of Mattapoisett’s zoning board of appeals and served two terms as a selectman for the town. He was also a director of Social Justice for Women and president of the boards of trustees of the Tower School in Marblehead and Concord Academy. During the Korean War, he served as a captain in the U.S. Army Judge Advocate General’s Corps.
Robert L. Wise ’53 of Belmont, Mass., died Jan. 4, 2008.
Daniel M. O’Shea ’53-’54 of Southampton, N.Y., died Sept. 25, 2006.
William J. Chadwick ’54 of Melrose, Mass., died Dec. 1, 2007. He practiced law for many years in Boston before joining the Episcopal Theological School. A vaudeville performer, he was a member of the Hayshakers performing group. He traveled throughout the country playing the trumpet and acting as front man for various groups. He served in the U.S. Army in Texas.
Anthony Luongo ’54 of Freehold, N.J., died Sept. 29, 2007. He was a trial attorney for 40 years and served as an assistant prosecutor in charge of the grand jury in Union County. For many years, he was a senior lawyer for the St. Paul Insurance Co. in New Jersey. During WWII, he served in the U.S. Army.
Donald A. Machum LL.M. ’54 of Edmonton, Alberta, Canada, died Oct. 24, 2007. He held senior executive positions with Algoma Steel Corp. in Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario, and with Oxford Development Group in Edmonton.
Robert A. Cesari ’55 of Winchester, Mass., died Jan. 8, 2008. As an intellectual property lawyer and a founding partner of the Boston firm Cesari and McKenna, he helped to shape the landscape of the technology industry in Massachusetts, representing many large technical companies, including Digital Equipment Corp., Analog Devices and Dynatech Corp., in their early years. His peers voted him one of the top civil litigators in Boston and one of the best intellectual property lawyers in the U.S. Earlier in his career, he practiced law at Blair and Buckles in Stamford, Conn., and later founded and became a partner at the firm’s Boston branch. He was named president of the Boston Patent Law Association in 1972 and a director of the Boston Heart Foundation in 1980. During the Korean War, he served as a lieutenant in the U.S. Army.
Garth C. Grissom ’57 of Denver died Dec. 27, 2007. An attorney for 50 years, he practiced law at Sherman and Howard in Denver. He was active in the Denver Bar Association and served a term as president. For 34 years, he was a member of the Denver Rotary Club, including a term as president. He served in the U.S. Army.
Peter G. Powers ’57 of Washington, D.C., died Oct. 31, 2006. The Smithsonian Institution’s first general counsel, he helped guide the expansion of the institution from 1964 to 1995. He was credited with playing an important role in the planning, construction and operation of Smithsonian museums, including the National Air and Space Museum and the Hirshhorn Museum and Sculpture Garden. He also helped establish Smithsonian Magazine, the Smithsonian Associates continuing education program and the Office of Product Development and Licensing. In 1995, he received the Smithsonian’s Henry Medal for his contributions. He served in the U.S. Army.
David I. Hoffman ’58 of Telluride, Colo., died March 21, 2007. He practiced real estate law in Telluride, where he had moved in 1981. Previously, he was an attorney in Chicago.
Joseph T. Sneed III S.J.D. ’58 of San Francisco died Feb. 9, 2008. For more than three decades, he served as a judge on the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals in San Francisco. He was deputy U.S. attorney general during the Watergate era, involved in the Justice Department’s handling of the 71-day occupation of Wounded Knee by Oglala Sioux and American Indian Movement leaders in 1973. He was later a member of the judicial panel that appointed Kenneth Starr to look into President Clinton’s financial dealings. A career academic, he taught law at Texas, Cornell and Stanford universities and was a dean at Duke University Law School from 1971 to 1973. He was nominated to the appellate court by President Nixon in 1973 and was granted senior status on the court in 1987. He served in the U.S. Army Air Forces during WWII.
Peter J. Belton ’59 of San Francisco died Oct. 18, 2007. He served as a California Supreme Court staff attorney for more than 38 years, the last 34 as the senior staff attorney for Justice Stanley Mosk. In 1998, he received the State Bar of California’s Public Lawyer of the Year award. As a Harvard undergraduate, he contracted polio during a summer trip to Haiti and was in a wheelchair ever since. After graduating from HLS, he spent a year teaching law at UC Berkeley before joining the staff of California Supreme Court Justice B. Rey Schauer. During his career, he served 11 years on the San Francisco Handicapped Access Board, which reviews access for people with disabilities when building permits are granted.
William J. Condren ’59 of Southampton, N.Y., and Palm Beach, Fla., died Oct. 29, 2007. A private investor with interests in real estate, oil and gas drilling, and aircraft leasing, he was also a horse owner and breeder. His horses included two Kentucky Derby winners and a Preakness Stakes winner. A trustee for the Thoroughbred Owners and Breeders Association, he was a co-founder and director of the National Thoroughbred Association and a director of the Grayson-Jockey Club Research Foundation. He practiced law from 1959 to 1966 in Manhattan before beginning a career in investment banking. An innovator in equipment leases and real estate tax shelters, he pioneered the use of leveraged lease financing for railroad equipment and aircraft. In 1969, he formed Condren Walker and Co. and financed public utility generating equipment, offshore oil drilling rigs, oil tankers and other marine equipment. In addition, he was involved in subsidized housing projects in New York, Florida and Massachusetts, which provided more than 8,000 units of residential housing.
David P. Currie ’60 of Chicago died Oct. 15, 2007. A professor at the University of Chicago Law School for 45 years, he was a constitutional scholar and the author of 19 books and hundreds of articles. He wrote or co-wrote three major casebooks on federal courts, environmental law and conflict of laws. He was the first chairman of the Illinois Pollution Control Board, and he wrote the 1970 Illinois Environmental Protection Act. The author of “The Constitution of the United States: A Primer for the People,” he was a fellow of the American Academy of Arts & Sciences and taught at a number of European universities. He was a member of Chicago’s Gilbert and Sullivan Opera Co. for more than 40 years.
Carlos Fligler LL.M. ’60 of New York City died Jan. 20, 2008. He financed multi-national corporate transactions with his firm, Delta Capital Corp. During his career, he worked for Sullivan & Cromwell, the World Bank in Washington, D.C., and JP Morgan in New York City.
Russell G. Gutting ’61 of Pensacola, Fla., died Oct. 18, 2007.
Mark J. Levinson LL.M. ’61 of Needham, Mass., died Jan. 11, 2006. He was a partner at Burns & Levinson in Boston. He was also president of the International Institute of Boston and the Greater Boston chapter of the American Jewish Committee.
Theodore S. Lynn ’61 of New York City died Oct. 17, 2007. He was a partner at Stroock & Stroock & Lavan.
Edward J. Murphy ’61 of Macon, Ga., died Oct. 19, 2007. For 27 years, he was a military lawyer in the U.S. Air Force. His assignments included tours in Hawaii, Germany, the Philippines and Vietnam. He was posted for three years with the State Department as legal adviser to the American ambassador in Canberra, Australia. He was awarded the Legion of Merit with two oak leaf clusters. After retiring in 1989, he was a faculty member at Georgia College & State University in Milledgeville, where he taught courses on constitutional law and the U.S. Supreme Court for 14 years.
Louis C. Stamberg ’61 of Washington, D.C., died Oct. 9, 2007. He worked for the U.S. Agency for International Development for 34 years, serving as a program officer for the India, Thailand, Afghanistan, Gabon, Chad, Central African Republic and Congo-Brazzaville desks. In the mid-1960s, he spent more than two years at the USAID mission in New Delhi. He was a director of Private Agencies Collaborating Together, an international nongovernmental organization that works to reduce poverty and ensure social, economic and environmental justice.
Richard E. Reckson LL.M. ’62 of Yamhill, Ore., died Dec. 1, 2006.
Lawrence A. Carton III ’63 of Middletown, N.J., died June 1, 2007. A lifelong resident of Middletown, he was a partner at Roberts, Pillsbury and Carton before forming his own firm in 1974. He served as a municipal court judge in New Shrewsbury and Old Bridge and was a planning board attorney in Middletown. He was a member of a number of civic and professional organizations and served as president of the Monmouth County Mental Health Association and founding trustee of the Alcoholism Council of Central Jersey.
Dana M. Friedman ’63 of Whitingham, Vt., and Camp Hill, Pa., died Dec. 27, 2007. He was an attorney at Alcoa. A Sewickley, Pa., resident for many years, he served on the borough’s historic review board.
Peter A.A. Berle ’64 of Stockbridge, Mass., died Nov. 1, 2007. A lawmaker and conservationist, he was a New York state assemblyman, commissioner of the State Department of Environmental Conservation and president of the National Audubon Society. He founded Berle, Butzel & Kass, one of the nation’s first firms devoted to environmental law. As a member of the state assembly, he played an important role in the passage of some of New York’s early environmental laws. As commissioner of the DEC, he was involved in the first regulatory actions at the Love Canal chemical dump at Niagara Falls. In 1977, he oversaw the state’s purchase of more than 9,000 acres in the Adirondack Park, including 11 of the Adirondacks’ highest peaks. In 1989, he was named chairman of the Commission on the Adirondacks in the 21st Century. He was a secretary, chairman and longtime member of the Century Foundation board of trustees. He served in the U.S. Air Force as a parachutist and an intelligence officer and attained the rank of first lieutenant.
John C. Fleming Jr. ’66 of New York City died Dec. 10, 2007. A New York City attorney, he worked in the law department of American Home Products Corp. and later was a solo practitioner.
Frederick O. Kiel ’66 of Cincinnati died Aug. 4, 2007. A Cincinnati attorney for 40 years, he was also law director of Anderson Township, Ohio.
Reynaldo P. Glover ’68 of New York City died Nov. 27, 2007. He was a trustee of Fisk University and had served as board chairman since February 2004. He was involved in the cash-strapped school’s controversial attempt to sell artwork donated to the school by Georgia O’Keeffe. He began his legal career as national executive director of the Law Student Civil Rights Research Council in New York. He later went into private practice in Chicago and was chairman of the board of trustees of the City Colleges of Chicago from 1988 to 1991.
William A. Strauss ’73 of McLean, Va., died Dec. 18, 2007. A former Senate subcommittee staffer, he became a satirist and wrote musical parodies. He helped found Capitol Steps in the 1980s. The troupe is now a $3 million-a-year industry with more than 40 employees. He began his career in Washington in 1973 as a policy aide for what is now the Department of Health and Human Services. He later moved to the Presidential Clemency Board, directing a research team reporting on the impact of the Vietnam War on the draft-eligible generation. From 1977 to 1979, he worked at the Department of Energy, and a year later, he was named chief counsel and staff director of the Subcommittee of Energy, Nuclear Proliferation and Government Processes. Strauss co-wrote six books about American generations. The second of two earlier books co-written with another author, “Reconciliation After Vietnam,” was said to have influenced President Carter’s decision to issue a blanket pardon to draft resisters. He also co-wrote two books of satire and wrote three musicals. In 1999, he formed the Critics and Awards Program, which arranges for students in 60 Washington, D.C.-area high schools to attend and review their respective shows.
Richard K. Jeydel ’75 of Westfield, N.J., died Dec. 20, 2007. He was general counsel for Kanematsu USA in New York City. An arbitrator and mediator, he served on the executive committee of the American Arbitration Association. He was also on the editorial board of the New Jersey Lawyer. He served in the U.S. Army Judge Advocate General’s Corps.
Richard S. Maxwell ’76 of Paris died Dec. 4, 2007.
Philip F. McClelland ’76 of Carlisle, Pa., died Dec. 29, 2007. He was a senior assistant consumer advocate and worked for the Pennsylvania Office of Consumer Advocate for 27 years. A member of the telecommunications team, he represented the interests of consumers in utility matters. He testified before the U.S. Senate and advised the commonwealth’s General Assembly on telecommunications law and policy. Early in his career, he briefly was in private practice and also worked as an attorney for Central Pennsylvania Legal Services, where he won work release for female prisoners.
Margaret S. Childers ’78 of Montgomery, Ala., died Jan. 26, 2008. An expert in judicial ethics, she was executive director of the Alabama Judicial Inquiry Commission. She directed Alabama’s probe of state Chief Justice Roy Moore, who disobeyed a federal court order to remove a Ten Commandments monument that he had installed in the lobby of the state judicial building. In November 2003, the Alabama Court of the Judiciary agreed with the commission and removed Moore from office. Early in her career, Childers helped open the local office of the Legal Services Corporation of America in Montgomery in 1978. In 1985, she joined the Alabama Attorney General’s Office as an appellate lawyer, and she also served as counsel for the Judicial Inquiry Commission before becoming its executive director in 1998.
John P. Giezentanner ’94 of Newport Coast, Calif., died Sept. 11, 2007. A partner at Knobbe Martens Olson & Bear, he joined the firm in 1994 and was named partner in 1999.