Statistics released by the Social Science Research Network (SSRN) indicate that, as of the end of 2014, Harvard Law School faculty members featured prominently on SSRN’s list of the 100 most-cited law professors. HLS faculty captured thirteen slots—including the number one and two slots—among the top 100 law school professors (in all legal areas) in terms of citations to their work.
As in previous years, Professor Lucian Bebchuk was ranked first among all law school professors. Professor Bebchuk’s papers have attracted a total of 4,314 citations as of the end of 2014. Professor Steve Shavell was ranked second, with 3,760 citations.
In addition to Professors Bebchuk and Shavell, eleven other HLS faculty members are among SSRN’s list of the 100 most-cited law school professors:
- Louis Kaplow (1,221 citations) — Ranked 6
- Cass Sunstein (1,158 citations) — Ranked 7
- Jesse Fried (1,121 citations) — Ranked 8
- Alma Cohen (1,061 citations) — Ranked 10
- Reinier Kraakman (1,059 citations) — Ranked 11
- Mark Roe (986 citations) — Ranked 12
- Allen Ferrell (659 citations) — Ranked 21
- John Coates (229 citations) — Ranked 68
- J. Mark Ramseyer (190 citations) — Ranked 84
- Howell Jackson (180 citations) — Ranked 89
- Holger Spamann (171 citations) — Ranked 97
SSRN is the leading electronic service for social science research. As of the end of 2014, its electronic library contained 482,500 full-text documents by 269,400 authors. SSRN’s rankings in terms of citations are available here (sign in required for full list).