The offices of HLS professors vary widely. Some are sanctuaries while others are hives of hubbub. Styles range from cluttered to clean-lined—from Bauhaus minimalism to Holmesian homes-away-from-home. The Bulletin visited one dweller of Hauser Hall recently. Even when he isn’t in, he’s there. The room tells a story of a long, distinguished career, world travels […]
One year of planning came down to five hours of drama on June 23, 2007, when three Victorian-era buildings on the Harvard Law School campus were relocated 175 yards up Massachusetts Avenue to make way for the Northwest Corner development, a major new academic complex slated for completion in 2011. A section of an HLS dormitory at the destination on Mass. Ave. was demolished to make space for the houses. Traffic was diverted, and street signs, parking meters and traffic signals were removed. Pictured below: The heaviest of the three buildings, weighing more than 200 tons, was moved by 16 hydraulic dollies, at walking speed.
Since 1914, when a group of Harvard Law students formed an organization to provide legal aid to the poor, the Harvard Legal Aid Bureau has served as a bridge to the legal profession for nearly 2,000 students. The first year, from rented office space in Central Square, students took on 191 cases and won $4,268.13 for their clients.
Even as a Law School student, Abrams was drawn to the world of art. He has divided has time between lawyering and collecting, building with his wife, Maida, one of the world’s preeminent collections of seventeenth-century Dutch drawings. Recently, this famous collecting duo made a dazzling gift to the Fogg.